YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2003-06 > 1055865773


From: "Chris Westmoreland" <>
Subject: Re: [YKS] Boston Spa Parish Records
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:05:18 +0100
References: <200306161928.h5GJSZnN069926@smtp1.freeola.com>


Roy Stockdill" <>
>
>
> Baptisms for Boston Spa were copied into the Bramham parish registers
> (Boston Spa is a chapelry in the parish of Bramham) and the originals
> are at the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research in York. Any
> other parish records would be there, too.
>

The foundation stone for St. Mary the Virgin was laid in 1812. It was
originally a Chapel of Ease within Bramham parish, but became a parish in
its own right in 1852.

Although the place had grown from almost nothing to a reasonable sized
strung out village following the discovery of the spa waters, what likely
instigated the move to full blown parish was a large influx of catholics to
nearby Clifford to work in the Grimston's flax mill. The Grimstons were
catholic and many of their workers were Irish refugees from the potato
famine.

Regards,

Chris Westmoreland


This thread: