YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2003-07 > 1057155341

From: Ian Hartas <>
Subject: Re: [YKS] Life in the 1500s
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:15:41 +0100

Sarah Reay wrote:

> They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers
> in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the
> next day. Sometimes the stew had food in it that had been
> there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme,
> "Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in
> the pot nine days old."

These set of stories have been doing the rounds for a few years
and I wish this one would get put right before someone repeats
it again ! :-((

From a standard English dictionary:

Pease: pease-pudding, boiled peas.
Porridge: Soft food of oatmeal.
Pottage: Soup or Stew.

So the stew refered to above is "Pease Pottage". No way
can porridge be called a stew. :-)

This was how the rhyme was taught when I was young:

"Pease pottage hot, pease pottage cold, pease pottage in the
pot nine days old."

Perhaps the 'porridge' is yet another American corruption of
the original English ? <BG>

--
regards,
Ian Hartas