YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2003-07 > 1057163278

From: "Kate Haushalter" <>
Subject: Re: [YKS] Life in the 1500s (pease porridge, pottage, pudding)
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 12:27:58 -0400

Your search was probably for pease pottage.
If you looked for pease porridge you'd get many pages of the rhyme
which remains exceedingly popular. And it is probably one of the few
straightforward
nursery rhymes without alternate political meanings (or not?)

http://www.sou.edu/english/Mathiesn/Scansion/rhythm.htm

http://www.first-school.ws/t/cp_nr/porridge_b.htm

http://www.byu.edu/tma/arts-ed/units/fundunit.htm

http://www.worldzone.net/web/lainie/ramblings/rhymes.html#pease

Kate Haushalter
Toronto Canada

( now enjoying a review of nursery rhymes and their origins)

> Another search of the internet shows that people use both pease pudding
and
> pease porridge in the famous rhyme. I didn't find a single instance of
the
> rhyme with pease pottage but, of course, that doesn't prove a thing.

This thread: