YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2005-07 > 1120606157

From: "Irene Marlborough" <>
Subject: Orphans
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 18:29:17 -0500

Hi Everyone:
I'm going to be doing some research in Wakefield in a couple of weeks (hurray!) and I've recently discovered something about my Wakefield family that changes a few things. The family is

John BINNS born 1834 (son of Benjamin BINNS and his wife Sarah WHITE)
and his wife Sarah DUFFY born c. 1833 in Harewood
children
Arthur born 1858
William Henry born 1860
Frederick born 1863
Charles born 1868

I believe William Henry died as an infant since he doesn't show up on the 1871 census. The other 3 children are all present in 1871 but the father John dies in 1870 and the mother dies in the 3rd quarter of 1871. So 3 children aged 13, 8 and 3 are left as orphans. The only one I've found later on is Frederick who is an apprentice pawnbroker in Batley in 1881 (says born in Ilkley not Wakefield though). Arthur died in 1876 aged 17. I haven't been able to find a death for Charles but he's not to be found in 1881 or 1891. There is another Charles BINNS of the right age in Wakefield but he's not mine as his father's alive and well.

Does anyone know of any records that would help to discover what happened to these unfortunate children once their parents had died?

Thanks,
Irene Marlborough
FreeCEN Coordinator for Manchester 1861
http://www.freecen.org.uk/