YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2005-08 > 1123769451

Subject: Re: [YKS] Common forename?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:10:51 EDT

writes:

Not sure about Yorkshire but in Derbyshire it was neither common nor rare.
Being a biblical name I would expect it to have been in wide usage.
I have done a search of the IGI for the periods 1790 to 1810 using just the
forename mark and the county of Yorkshire and there are over 1000 entries
( Before I got bored counting them) so it looks to have been fairly common

Hi

Perhaps by county but I don't have one in my 5,000+ tree or my one name
study. We cover many counties so perhaps we were not religious enough to
warrant that name.

Best wishes

JUDY ELKINGTON

www.elkingtonfamily.com