YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2006-01 > 1136542369

From: "Brian Richerby" <>
Subject: Re: [YKS] Re;_ IGI.
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:12:49 -0000

Hi Folks

In the interests of science I have tried to break my PC!! But whatever I do
I cannot stop the IGI site from working!

I have tried changing various settings on my IE6 - no effect. Doesn't
matter which route I take through IGI either - front screen, search all,
search IGI, search census; I can access using my several year old shortcut
or going via www.familysearch.org - it just works all the time, every time!

Just to rub salt in your wounds I took delivery of my new laptop yesterday -
WinXP and IE6 and it works fine (also has Firefox but I haven't had chance
to try that).

My old laptop has no firewall and Sophos Antivirus; the new has McAffee
Firewall and antivirus. I also had another which used WinXP and IE6 with
AVG antivirus and no firewall (this one died hence the new one!!). I have
connected via my own wireless broadband at home, via the wired broadband at
work and via a dial-up modem.

Only other possibility is that the revised site uses some functionality that
you haven't downloaded from the update site. Go to windows update and look
at the custom update rather than the express. Look for any upgrades that
include ActiveX or which relate to IE - I have upgraded with everything.
Another possibility is the absence of Java - I have Java 2 Platform Standard
Edition installed on the Win2000 and the dead machine but not sure about the
new one (well I did only get it at 20:00 last night!!)

BTW - having a PC expire terminally was a sobering experience. I am
fanatical about backing up so I only lost a couple of day's e-mails. I
could have easily lost 10 years work. Have you backed up your family
history stuff? Think about that and then go do a backup!!

Brian Richerby
Guiseley, UK