Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2006-06 > 1150291769

Subject: Re: [YKS] Clergy within the Church of England - how it "worked"?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:29:29 EDT

You could try the Royal Institute of British Architects library to see if
Walter the architect was a member.
_www.riba.org_ (http://www.riba.org) and
_www.architecture.com_ (http://www.architecture.com) for contact details.

A quick search of the online catalogue didn't bring up anything on him but
the RIBA should still have its old membership lists and if you can check where
he practiced you might find something he designed that is still standing.

Planning permission wasn't required at this time but there should be public
health records. This was the beginning of Building Regulations as we now know
them. Anyone proposing to construct a building had to submit a plan showing
the drainage layout and indicate how 'foul miasmas' were to be dispelled. You
should find a signature of the architect on the drawing and perhaps other
details as well. Although they were usually fairly crude drawings, they can be
very useful for tracing the history of a building. I am familiar with the
sorts of records used in London. Other places may be different.

Your first port of call should be the local records/archives as local
authorities ditched these records years ago to save space. Some would go the local
archives and some, no doubt, were pulped. The other thing you will need is an
index - or you're sunk!

If he was a prominent architect you might find a reference to him in 'The
Builder' magazine, which is still around.

Geoff Blyth

This thread: