YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2007-12 > 1197755201

From: "Peter J. Ashford" <>
Subject: Re: [YORKSGEN] Yorkshire Puddings
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:46:41 +1300

Sally Ann,

I agree totally with you. Seems to me that genealogy activities are more
than just an entry in a database; I've been delving into my paternal side
and why they moved in the 19th century, and what food/drink was part of
their culture. I think this makes family searching much more interesting.
For example, my maternal grandparents moved from Leeds to Bristol in 1927;
in distance it's about 200 miles, but it may just as well have been 2
million miles in terms of culture. My grandmother said that nobody in their
street in Bristol knew much about Yorkshire pudding with roast beef, let
alone eating it before the main course [entree in the US]. They also found
the locals hard to understand as the accents were so different. Grandma told
me she taught a few locals how to make Yorkshire pudding.

Merry Christmas from NZ,

Peter