YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2007-12 > 1197824337

From: Gill Foster <>
Subject: Re: [YORKSGEN] Yorkshire Sayings
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:58:57 +0100

I hope these references help those with a thirst for bloodshed and
misery in this festive season. :-)

The full text of the 'Hull, Hell and Halifax" poem is on

http://www.yorkshirehistory.com/gibbet/index.htm

Googling will find lots of references but other informative sites are:

> http://www.metaphor.dk/guillotine/Pages/gibbet.html and
> http://www.metaphor.dk/guillotine/Pages/gibbet.html
Malcolm Bull's excellent site also has references to the 'gibbet'.

One of my probable ancestors, executed in 1568 for robbery, was John
Learoyd of Northowram. I'd like to welcome him to my family as I'm sure
he would feel reet at 'ome with my lot which include border rievers and
two transportees. I used to wonder why people shut up their cattle and
locked up their silver when I was around!

Gill
> Hi Mark.
>
> Apparently this saying originated as part of the Thieves Litany in use from the 16th and 17th century.It would be recited when two thieves parted ways in place of goodbye.
>
> It makes reference to the thieves' three main occupational hazards.
>
> *Hell - where wrongdoers were sent after death.
> *Hull - the site of an infamous jail.
> *Halifax - the place of a notorious gibbet.
>
> Regards.
>
> Adrian.

This thread: