YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2007-12 > 1198850487

From: Anne Peat <>
Subject: Re: [YORKSGEN] 1841 census lookup - RIDER/RYDER
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:01:27 +0000

Hi Mel, There is this William in Calverley in 1841 - but spouse (
though no relationships given) seems to be Sarah

1841 England Census
about William Rider
Name: William Rider
Age: 60
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1781
Gender: Male
Where born: Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Calverley
Hundred: Morley
County/Island: Yorkshire
Country: England

Street address: Lowtown

Occupation: Woollen cloth maker ( William, William & Elizabeth) bailer
( Grace & Ann)

Registration district: Bradford
Sub-registration district: Pudsey
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Ann Rider 15
Elizabeth Rider 35
Grace Rider 20
Sarah Rider 60
William Rider 60
William Rider 40
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1298; Book: 9; Civil Parish:
Calverley; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 13; Page:
19; Line: 17

Then there is this one in Leeds

1841 England Census
about William Rider
Name: William Rider
Age: 55
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1786
Gender: Male
Where born: Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Leeds Town
Hundred: Leeds Borough
County/Island: Yorkshire
Country: England

Street address: Charity Street

Occupation: labourer ( William) cloth dresser ( James) Bailer ( Ann &
Elizabeth)

Registration district: Leeds
Sub-registration district: Leeds West
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Alice Rider 55
Ann Rider 30
Elizabeth Rider 20
James Rider 25
John Rider 2
Thomas Rider 2
William Rider 55

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1349; Book: 10; Civil Parish:
Leeds Town; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 33; Folio: 33;
Page: 20

Alice and son James are together in 1851
1851 England Census
about Alice Ryder
Name: Alice Ryder
Age: 66
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1785
Relation: Head
Gender: Female

Civil Parish: Idle
County/Island: Yorkshire
Country: England

Street address: Cross Keys

Occupation: James - Cloth stover (???)

Condition as to marriage: widow ( Alice) unmarried (James)

Registration district: Bradford
Sub-registration district: Shipley
ED, institution, or vessel: 2a

Household schedule number: 24
Household Members:
Name Age
Alice Ryder 66
James Ryder 35
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2312; Folio: 194; Page: 6
On 28 Dec 2007, at 13:36, Mel Towler wrote:

> Can anyone help me?
>
> Over the last month I have been working on my RIDER/RYDER family, and
> I have now successfully confirmed another generation.
>
> William RIDER married Alice FEATHER at St Wilfrid's, Calverley in
> 1807. He is my gggg grandfather. His eldest son, John RIDER, had named
> his 4th son, Thomas Feather RIDER. This clinched the connection for
> me.
>
> William and Alice RIDER/RYDER lived and died in the Calverley/Idle
> area. William died in 1850, Alice died in 1852 and James, one of their
> sons, died in 1856 aged 40. James didn't marry and I would expect the
> 3 of them to be living together in 1841. They all were born within the
> county of Yorkshire and William and Alice are likely to be recorded as
> 50 or 55 years old. I hope this helps.
>
> Can anyone find them in the 1841 census? Many thanks in anticipation
> of your help.
>
> Best wishes,
> Mel TOWLER, Harrogate, North Yorkshire
> TOWLER - Leeds, Sandal Magna, Barwick in Elmet, Cowthorpe
> CARISS - Leeds, Easingwold, Yearsley
> RYDER/RIDER - Leeds, Bradford, Idle
> LAWSON - Leeds, Settrington

This thread: