YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2010-07 > 1277965368

From: "Bev Kirby" <>
Subject: [YORKSGEN] Knipe
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 08:22:48 +0200

Thanks to all who have made comments on the Knipe distribution. In a very blond moment I replied directly to the contributors-I will remedy that! My "problem" is my g/g/g/grandfather, Thomas Knipe- I have PR records for his marriage in 1815 to Frances Ritson in Plumbland, he was "of CrossCanonby" and on the 1841 census he was born in Cumberland and is one of only 6 Knipes- and 3 others are his wife, son and daughter in law. He died in Maryport in 1842 age 59. However, none of the Thomas Knipes born in Cumberland around 1783 are him! [and trust me, even the Cumbrian Archives are stumped by this very illusive Knipe] He must have been born somewhere! His father was probably either John or William and since he was a husbandman/farmer/yeoman, his father probably was also a farmer. Knipe is a very old English name, and there were Knipe clusters in Westmorland as far back as 1300, then Lancs and Yorkshire. If anybody is doing research around 1700-1790 and a Knipe pops up in a will, etc please contact me because I have found that not everything is on IGI for the area!
Blond Bev

This thread: