YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2011-10 > 1317974703

From: Wendy King <>
Subject: Re: [YORKSGEN] Frederick Herbert RUSSELL
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 09:05:06 +0100

Nivard

Tracking back from the military data and Herbert, Gertrude and the children
are on the 1911 -his birth, as you would expect as it is an official Army
entry, is given as Bradford. In 1901 when they are at Frimley Green, Essex
and he or his wife gave the enumerator the details, his birth place is
Preston, Lancashire.

I have not been able to him on any earlier census as either Herbert or
Frederick (have you thought that he may have been known as Bert and that
Frederick was an incorrect extension of his name?) using no age criteria.
There is no RUSSELL family with a combination of Frank as father and Herbert
as son on England, Scotland or Wales censuses regardless of age.

The only Herbert I can find with a Bradford GRO entry is for George Herbert
born 1872. Parish registers for many of the Bradford and Bowling area
churches are on line for this period. No Herbert Russell baptisms. There is
a George Herbert baptised 1880 21 Oct 1880 at Bradford St Peters, son of
Etty, 16 Hird St, Bowling no father named but his birth date/age are not
given. In 1881 they are at this address with her mother (Ettie is given as
Etta) 1891 Etta is a boarder with a 3 yr old daughter and I didn't find
George.

Have you considered that his father might have been a soldier? If his
personal information is accurate (on either census) this could explain why
he was missing from earlier censuses - military data was not included for
overseas personnel until 1911.

Wendy