YOUNG-KY-L Archives

Archiver > YOUNG-KY > 2007-03 > 1175188738

From: "Juli Morgan" <>
Subject: [YOUNG-KY] Peter Young, m. Mary Bartlett, Jefferson County 1810
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:18:58 -0500

I'm trying to find out more about the Peter YOUNG who married Mary BARTLETT (d/o James & Rachel) in Jefferson County on 11 April 1810. Mary's father, James BARTLETT, consented in person. Bond James BARTLETT Apr. 10, 1810; Wit. Edward TYLER, Jr. Md. Apr. 11, 1810 by James MCQUAID. [Bk1:p. 66]. I'm more than happy to share what I have now.

For over 20 years I've been searcing for information on my Peter Young. He was born abt 1785 (not sure where) and died bet. 1840-1850 in Izard County, Arkansas. His five eldest children all consistently gave their place of birth as Kentucky. The children were:

Nancy Caroline - b. 1815
[--?--] (a female) - b. bet 1815-1820
Christian (male) - b. 1817
Elizabeth - b. 1820
Mary Elvira - b. 1824
[--?--] - b. bet 1825-1830
Margaret - b. 1828 in Arkansas
Charlotte - b. 1832 Arkansas

Peter was on the 1830 census for Independence County, Arkansas. The counties were in a state of constant shift at that time, and in 1840 he was on the Izard County, Arkansas census. He paid taxes in Independence county in 1833, in Izard county in 1841 and in neighboring Van Buren county in 1842. By 1843 that area of Van Buren had once again become part of Izard county. A history of Izard county makes mention of Peter's being a skilled stone worker.

Since we only know of one son, it's hard to try and trace naming patterns to determine Peter's family. Christian is the only consistent male name we have. Two of Peter's daughters named sons Christian (Margaret & Charlotte.) Margaret even named a daughter Christiana. Christian Young named his only son Charles. And Charles was killed by Jayhawkers at a young age and never married or had sons of his own. No help there. Strange that not one of Peter's children named a child after him.

From the information we have now, in 1820 our Peter would have 2 or 3 females under 10 and at least one male under 10. He & wife would be in the 16-25 age range, and according to the children's very consistent claims as to where they were born, they would be in Kentucky.

Could this be him????

1820 Union County, Kentucky
Morganfield Township
page 152

Peter Young (Ancestry has it as "Palers", but look & compare the handwriting on the page and you'll see it's Peter without the "T" crossed) 1000102001
1 male under 10 (b. 1810-1819) Christian b. 1817
1 male 26-44 (b. 1776-1794) Peter b. abt 1785
2 females under 10 (b. 1810-1819) Nancy b. 1815, unknown b. 1815-1820
1 female 26-44 (b. 1776-1794) Wife b. 1780-1790 [age from 1830 AR census]

On the same page is listed:
John W. Young.....1101102211
1 male under 10
1 male 10-15
1 male 16-25
1 male 26-44
2 females under 10
2 females 10-15
1 female 16-25
1 female 26-44

On page 153 I found a John Young....10010100101
1 male under 10
1 male 16-25
1 male 45 or older
1 female 16-25
1 female 45 or older

The only other Peter Young in Kentucky in 1820 is in Nelson County, and none of the ages on his enumeration fit our Peter Young.

I have found reference for a Peteer Young and a Christian Young in a listing for Abstracts and County Order Books for Union County Kentucky 1821-1822. Peteer's was for a land addition and Christian's was a list of taxable property. Need to check this further. The name Christian Young sends up all kinds of flags.

Went backward for Christian and came across Christian Young in Jefferson County, Kentucky in 1810. Our Peter would have been about 25 years old. The enumeration on page 22 :
Christian Young....22101 - 02001
2 males under 10
2 males 10-15
1 male 16-25 (Peter's age)
1 male 45 or older
2 females 10-15
1 female 45 or older

Also on this page were two men named Andrew Young and a Thomas Young. This census was done in alphabetical order rather than by residence, so the two Andrews being on the same page as Christian does not indicate close proximity of residence.
Also in Jefferson County in 1810 was a John Young and a William Young, both on page 23. Also interesting to note that James Bartlett's enumeration has two men of Peter's age living in his household.

In 1810 in Nelson County is the same Peter Young as in 1820, but in this enumeration he has two males 16-25, our Peter's age. Also enumerated are John, Bryant and James Young, all the same age as our Peter.

>From the Bartlett Family Research Site: (mentions Bartletts and Youngs)

Shelby Co., KY
Deed Book L, pp. 369-370
This indenture made this fourteenth day of March in the year of our lord one hundred fourteen between James BARTLETT and Rachael his wife of the county of Jefferson and State of Kentucky of the one part and Catsby [Catsley?] YOUNG of the County of Shelby and state aforesaid of the other witnesseth that the said James BARTLETT and wife for and in consideration of the sum of six hundred dollars to them in hand paid the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged hath granted and sold by these presents do grant bargain sell, alien and confirm unto the said Catsby [Catsley?] YOUNG his heirs and assigns forever one certain tract or parcel of land situate lying and being in the County of Shelby and state aforesaid on the waters of Long run patented in the name of HERNDEN #### the tract whereon the said Young now lives Beginning ########### on a line Marcena CLEAVELAND, thence east 117 1/4 poles to a hicory and beech corner to Anthony KIRK, thence north 159 poles to a beech ash and sugartree, thence west 90 poles to a beech and sugartree, thence south 42 west 42 poles to a large beech, thence south 133 poles to the beginning containing one hundred eight acres and a quarter, to have and to hold the said tract or parcel of land with its appurtenances unto the said Catsby [Catsley?] YOUNG his heirs and assigns forever to his their only proper use and behoof and the said James BARTLETT and wife for themselves their heirs executors and administrators and assigns, the said tract or parcel of land with its appurtenances unto the said Catsby [Catsley?] YOUNG his his [sic] heirs and assigns forever, against the claims of them the said James BARTLETT and wife their heirs executors administrators and assigns and against the claims of all and every other person or persons whatsoever will warrant and forever defend, in witness whereof the said James BARTLETT and wife have hereunto set their hands and affixed their seals the day and year above written. James BARTLETT {seal}
Rachael X [her mark] BARTLETT {seal}
Signed sealed and
delivered in the presence of
[no witnesses]

Shelby County Sct Clerks Office February 25th 1814

This indenture was this day before me in my office acknowledged by the within named James BARTLETTand Rachael his wife to be their act and deed and she the said Rachael having been examined by me as the law directs relinquished her right of dower to the within premisis and thereupon the same was admitted to record. Att. James CRAIG Clk.

## (unreadable area)

Transcribed from microfilm and contributed by George C. Allison.