ZASTROW-L Archives

Archiver > ZASTROW > 2004-07 > 1089773412

Subject: William Zastrow born Hanover
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:50:12 EDT

My gg grandfather was William Zastrow, born 9 June 1837 in Hanover, Germany.
He came to the U.S. in 1843 or 1852, according to 2 different census entries.
He died 14 January 1918 in Wayne Twp., Erie Co., Pennsylvania. I have his
death certificate but cannot locate an obituary (possibly because he died in
1918 and was from Germany?).

I found him listed in the 1880 Manhattan, New York City census along with his
wife Sarah (nee Schwartz) my gg grandmother and children, Mary age 15,
Francis age 10 (my g grandfather), Henry age 6, Anna age 4, and William age 7
months. I also found him in Manhattan in the 1869 city directory, but cannot find
him in the 1870 census, the 1870 city directory, the 1871 city directory, or
the 1872 city directory. I didn't check any further city directories yet.

Where was he in 1860 and 1870? Who did he come to this country with? From
what my grandmother (his granddaughter) said his parents may have died in
Germany.

His wife Sarah and son William died in 1880 in Manhattan. I have their death
certificates. After Sarah's death, Francis (Frank), Henry (Harry), and Anna
were turned over to an orphanage in Manhattan by their father, "a hard
drinking German man" and came to Erie County, Pennsylvania on an "Orphan Train".
Since Frank was 12 by then he knew some about his family, but did not apparently
talk too much about them. Frank took the name of the family that took him in,
Ladd, but I don't think he was formally adopted.

I certainly wish I knew more about William and his background. There seem to
be many William Zastrows, but most of them went to Wisconsin. If I could
exchange information with anyone, I'd be very happy to do so.

Linda

This thread: