ZION-L Archives

Archiver > ZION > 2001-09 > 0999997833

Subject: Re: [Zion] William Zion USMC MOH
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 21:10:33 EDT

Hi cousins & especially Lee,
I was just searching for the family of:

ZION, WILLIAM
Rank and organization: Private, U.S. Marine Corps.
Born: 23 October 1872, Knightstown, Ind. Accredited to: California.
G.O. No.: 55 19 July 1901.
Citation: In the presence of the enemy during the battle of Peking, China,
21 July to 17 August 1900. Throughout this period, Zion distinguished
himself by meritorious conduct.
==================================

And I found a wonderful website. I believe the William Zion, listed above, is
from one of the children of John W. and Lucy that went to Indiana. Those that
appear to have moved there are George, Matthew and McCormic (sic).

There is a wealth of information here, I think 7 generations, about the Zion
family besides what I posted below.

I do not know who the owner of the site is, but it is great.

I have included my line at the bottom of these excerpts.
___________________________________
REMEMBER THIS FOLLOWING IS FROM THE WEBSITE.
MY RECORDS ARE FROM:
Esther M. (Hettie) ZION DAUGHTER OF UNKNOWN ZION, SISTER TO JOHN W. ZION, SR.

Excerpts from website:
http://users.exis.net/~nancn/zion/aqwg01.htm#78373

1. John W. ZION Sr. was born about 1768 in of North Fork, Holston River,
Washington Co., Virginia. He died between 1840 - 1850 in Lee Co., Virginia
and was buried in Pennington-Zion Cemetery, Dryden, Lee Co., Virginia.

_________
John married Lucy MC CORMICK, daughter of William MC CORMICK Jr. and Agness
ADAMS, on 3 Nov 1789 in Washington Co., Virginia. Lucy was born 1772 in of
Washington Co., Virginia. She died 1 Jan 1854 in Cane Creek, Lee Co.,
Virginia.

HISTORY OF RUSH COUNTY, INDIANA, Chicago, Brant & Fuller 1888, Democratic
Printing Company, Madison, Wisconsin. Electronic Edition Copyright 1999 by
Heritage Books, Inc., page 626.
    John Q. Zion . . . being the son of Matthew and Catharine (Sergeant)
Zion, who were natives of Virginia and Ohio, respectively, the former of
Dutch and English, and the latter of English descent. His father was the son
of John and Rachel Zion, and his mother was the daughter of Thomas Sergeant.

    John W. Zion Married Lucy McCormick 3 Nov 1789, of Washington Co.,
Virginia.
John and Lucy had the following children:

  2 M i Jacob ZION was born 31 Aug 1790 in Washington Co., Virginia.
He died 1864 in Des Moine Co., Iowa and was buried in Plesant Grove Cemetery,
Des Moine Co., Iowa.  Jacob Zion was 85 when he died.
+ 3 M ii George ZION was born 30 Jul 1791 and died 2 Mar 1873.

  4 M iii John W. ZION Jr. was born 8 May 1793 in Washington Co.,
Virginia. He died 12 Jun 1869 in Lee Co., Virginia and was buried in
Pennington Gap, Lee Co., Virginia.

5 M iv McCormic ZION was born 22 Jan 1795 in North Fork, Holston
River, Washington Co., Virginia. He died 26 Dec 1863 in Decatur, Decatur Co.,
Iowa and was buried in Decatur Cemetery, Decatur, Decatur Co., Iowa.
McCormic married Elizabeth BIDDLE on 8 Dec 1836 in Bartholomew Co., Indiana.

  6 F v Elizabeth ZION was born 25 Nov 1796 in Washington Co.,
Virginia. She died 27 Sep 1849 in Grassyfork, Jackson Co., Indiana.

  7 M vi William ZION was born about 1799/1800 in Washington Co.,
Virginia. He died 18 Dec 1872 in Lee Co., Virginia.  William married Amelia
SIMS on 30 Dec 1832 in Rush Co., Indiana.

+ 8 M vii Matthew ZION was born 9 Apr 1801 and died 9 Apr 1877.

  9 F viii Rachel ZION was born 22 Jan 1807 in Washington Co.,
Virginia. She died 15 Jun 1885 in Dryden, Lee Co., Virginia and was buried in
Pennington-Zion Cemetery, Dryden, Lee Co., Virginia.       Rachel
married Samuel MC BRIDE. Samuel was born about 1843 in Ohio.

THE FOLLOWING IS FROM MY RECORDS.
IF ANYONE SEES AN ERROR PLEASE TELL ME!

Descent of Unknown Zion to Joy Hughes (me)

1 Unknown ZION

2 Esther M. (Hettie) ZION
b: Abt 1786 in Augusta Co., VA
d: Bef 1870 in Lee Co., VA

TO Jacob (Blubough) BLUBAUGH
b: Abt 1755 possibly in Germany
d: January 1831 in Lee Co., VA

3 Esther (Hester) Ann BLUBAUGH
b: Abt 1817 in Lee Co., VA

m: July 17, 1832 in Lee Co., VA by Robert Glenn

TO Thomas COLLINSWORTH
b: 1812 in Lee Co., VA

4 Mary Martha COLLINSWORTH
b: January 1, 1854 in Yokum Station, Lee Co., VA
*2nd Husband of Mary Martha Collinsworth:

TO Tobias P. HUGHES
b: February 7, 1844 in Lee Co., VA
d: February 19, 1913 in Dry Branch, Lee Co., VA

m: November 30, 1870 in Lee Co., VA by G.B. Wells

5 Albert HUGHES
b: September 6, 1873 in Lee Co., VA
d: abt 1930 in Marion, Smyth Co., VA

m: September 14, 1913 in Wise Co., VA
*2nd Wife of Albert L. Hughes:

TO Mary Jane DAY
b: July 25, 1894 in Kentucky
d: November 1967 in Pennington Gap, Lee Co., VA

6 William Tobias HUGHES, Sr. (living)
b: October 19, 1922 in Lee Co., VA

m: January 17, 1942 in Lee Co., VA

TO Lois Marie BARKER
b: December 1, 1923 in Lee Co., VA
d: August 2, 1964 in Big Stone Gap, Wise Co., VA

7 Joy HUGHES (me - living)
b: September 14, 1952 in Bonnie Blue, Lee Co., VA

This thread: