ZachariahWells-L Archives

Archiver > ZachariahWells > 2002-01 > 1011498105

Subject: [Zachariah Wells] Dr. Jeremiah (J.C.) Wells
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 03:41:52 +0000

Hello, all! This is the line that I have been trying to
document. This is what I have so far:

1. DR JEREMIAH C4 WELLS (JAMES FRANKLIN3, JEREMIAH2,
ZACHARIAH1) was born March 27, 1843 in Powells Valley,
Lee, VA, and died March 11, 1923. He married (1) JULIA
ANN COOPER June 24, 1862 in Wise County, VA, daughter of
JOHN COOPER and SUSANNAH. She was born January 09, 1841
in Powells River, Lee, VA, and died March 08, 1887. He
married (2) SARAH AGNES WELLS August 24, 1887 in Wise
County, NC, daughter of JOSEPH WELLS and ELIZABETH
BLAIR. She was born October 1853, and died June 26,
1897.

Children of JEREMIAH WELLS and JULIA COOPER are:
i.ESSENETTA5 WELLS, b. Abt. 1863.
ii.TAZEWELL G WELLS, b. November 06, 1864;
d. October 21, 1884.
iii.JONATHAN M WELLS, b. Abt. 1868.
iv.JEROME LIVINGSTON WELLS, b. September
18, 1869, Wise, VA; d. November 14, 1913, Big Stone Gap,
Wise, VA.

Children of JEREMIAH WELLS and SARAH WELLS are:
v.ALPHONSE C5 WELLS1, b. Abt. 1889.
vi.VIRGIE L WELLS1, b. Abt. 1891.
vii.GERTRUDE WELLS1, b. Abt. 1893.
viii.SARAH A WELLS1, b. Abt. 1897.

I have been trying to find and document the children of
Jeremiah & Julia, I have been told there are more sons?

>I found this among some papers once owned by a Mr.
>Adams.

The marriage between JC and Sarah was the 2nd for both.
She married WILLIAM WILSON ADAMS Bef. 1874. He was born
March 11, 1854 in Smoot Creek, Letcher, KY, and died May
30, 1937 in Norton, Wise, VA.

Children of SARAH WELLS and WILLIAM ADAMS are:
i.MARY CAROLINE4 ADAMS.
ii.SAMANTHA ADAMS, b. July 10, 1874; d.
December 14, 1950; m. WALTER BEAUREGARD FARMER.
iii.GILBERT ADAMS, m. CALDONIA.
iv.PRESTON ADAMS, m. DAISY.
v.NANNIE ADAMS.
vi.ROSA ADAMS.

Apparently Mr. Adams was not a nice man and they
divorced. (This information is per another list member.
My apologies for not remembering who...I have recently
moved and can't find anything!)

I descend from JC's son, Jerome Livingston Wells. One
of his daughters is still living (93!!) in Bluefield,
VA. I'll see what she may remember. A cousin still
lives in Big Stone Gap, but is not on line. The last
time I spoke with him, he was apologizing for not
knowing any family connections with Wells in the
surrounding area, so I don't think he'll know much, but
will ask him as well.

Judy, I would love to get a copy of the letters you
have! May I contact you off list?

Happy New Year to all Wells!

Cathleen

This thread: