apg-L Archives

Archiver > apg > 2008-08 > 1219329274

From: "Holly Timm" <>
Subject: [APG] Managing a Huge Pension File
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:34:34 -0400

I have a huge pension file (385 pages) that I need to manage some how. I
have a tentative plan below but would very much appreciate comments or
suggestions that could improve it.

1) Go through the entire pension file and number the pages on the back in
pencil in the order received.

2) Using MSExcel, enter the page number, the date of the document and a very
brief summary such as deposition of so-and-so regarding soldier's prior
marriage

3) I can then sort by date to get a timeline or by page to restore to the
file order

4) This could then be put online with links added in it as I transcribe
various depositions

5) This would also be a process that I could work on as I can get to it.

If you are curious, the pension file is the "by-product" of the article I
wrote for our local genealogy publication. The article is online at the url
below so my sisters and some others could read it:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hft/dad/ulmer/

Holly Timm

This thread: