apg-L Archives

Archiver > apg > 2008-08 > 1219358139

From: Patti Hobbs <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Managing a Huge Pension File
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:35:39 -0500

Holly,

Thanks for posting your ideas. This is the kind of thing that
sometimes bogs me down. I'm not quite sure how to organize stuff. I
wondered how sorting by page would "restore to the file order." Isn't
file order in a pension file the same as date order?
On Aug 21, 2008, at 9:34 AM, Holly Timm wrote:

> 3) I can then sort by date to get a timeline or by page to restore
> to the
> file order

I did something a little differently, but I think that both ways might
be useful for different reasons. I organized the documents by paper-
clipping pages of the same document together, and then I stacked them
had three cells across. The first had the name I gave the document
(for consistent citation purposes later). The second had the date the
document was created. The third had the location where the document
was created. Then on the next row, I merged the cells and abstracted
the information. In some instances, I used bullet points to list
facts given; and other times, I summarized in paragraph form.

I wanted something that would be easy for me to refer back to, but I
can see where what you do creates a sort of permanent file structure
to access the transcription and the maybe images (scans or photographs
of the originals). I don't like to use spreadsheets for anything that
has a lot of text in one cell.

Patti

This thread: