apg-L Archives

Archiver > apg > 2008-08 > 1219423890

From: "Holly Timm" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Managing a Huge Pension File
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:51:30 -0400

Thank you Elizabeth and Patti and others who wrote me privately. It seems
that the only issue anyone had with my plan of attack was the numbering of
pages to retain the file order as I received it. I have therefore adjusted
my plan. Because of the huge size of this file and overlapping of the dates
in some of the Special Examinations (done in Maine, Illinois, Nebraska,
Tennessee and other places), sorting into a coherent primarily chronological
order is not really feasible as an initial step. I have numbered the pages
on the back in pencil in the order received. It turns out there were
actually 436 pages so guess I wasn't charged for some of the envelope backs
and other minimal items.

I am preparing the summary list in a spreadsheet pretty much as I described
EXCEPT that I am also noting groupings that I detect as I go and noting
where there appear to be pieces missing that are likely to be in the later
section of papers. (I initially ordered the standard pension packet and then
ordered the balance of the file.) There are a few Index to Special
Examiner's Reports which list the documents sent with that and I am noting
those groupings with a column for the page numbers assigned in that Index
and color coding the grouping as well.

This should make it a reasonable task to then, using sorting by date and
sorting by some of the notations, to put the whole in a semblance of
chronological order. When that is completed I can then renumber the pages in
pencil on the back, probably easiest would be to simply mark out the earlier
number with a slash mark and add the new number, clipping together sections
like the Special Examiner's Reports.

I apologize for not responding sooner but we were without power for several
hours thanks to Tropical Storm Fay which is still making an effort to drown
us in rain.

Holly Timm
St Augustine FL