apg-L Archives

Archiver > apg > 2008-08 > 1219437444

From: "Holly Timm" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Managing a Huge Pension File
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:37:24 -0400

The difficulty there is that approximately 95% of this file is the widow's
claim and the special examinations conducted in regards to the legality of
the marriage (and thus the legality of the minor child) mostly in late 1914,
early 1915. I have done what you suggested before with files that followed
the pattern you refer to. The widow was denied the pension because they
married after 27 Jun 1890 but the examinations went on because of the minor
child with no apparent distinction, possibly because the issues were the
same.

Now if I could just find out what happened to the child, Virginia Opal
Ulmer, born 4 Sep 1899 Monmouth, Warren County, Illinois. She got a final
pension payment when she turned 16 and after that she vanishes. Her mother
dies in 1917 and I can not find Opal/Virginia in 1920.

Thanks very much for your thoughts on this problem, I think it is time I go
take a nap myself and I have only listed 96 pages so far <sigh>.

Holly