AUS-MELBOURNE-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-MELBOURNE > 2004-09 > 1094168277

From: "A O'Brien" <>
Subject: Mary Ann BROWN d.1935, and FULLERTON family
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:37:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,
I have been looking for the death of Mary Ann BROWN (nee FULLERTON) in 1935, but cannot find her in the BDMs Indexes. I believe she is buried with her husband George BROWN (d.1929) and son Edward Thomas BROWN (d. 1937) at the Fawkner Cemetery Presbyterian Compartment D Grave 3448, burial date 26 Nov 1935. I haven't been able to confirm this though.
Mary's parents were William FULLERTON and Mary DUNN/DUNNE.
I believe the family lived in Ascot Vale or Moonee Ponds. George BROWN was an Engine Driver.
George BROWN married Mary FULLERTON on 8 July 1871 in White Hills, Vic (near Bendigo).
George and Mary's children were:
Mary Jemima Euphemia, Alice Elizabeth, Margaret Jessie, George James Fullerton, William Peter, Grace Marsella, Robert Melville, Agnes Elizabeth Elsie, John Percival De Renzie, Doris Edna, Margaret Elva and Edward Thomas. Their children were born in: Bendigo, Melbourne, Benalla, Ballarat and Sale.
I am also interested in contacting a descendant of this family - some surnames of descendants are BROWN, COURT, AUSTIN and WEBBER and some associated names FARROW, FEWSTER, HEATHER and DAVIS.

I am researching the history of the family and descendants of William and Mary FULLERTON who arrived in Port Phillip on the 'Himalaya' in 1840. They originated from County Kildare, Ireland. Their children were: Peter (1840 - 1924 my G G Grandfather), Michael (1842-1842), James (1843-1889), Bridget Elizabeth(1845-1923), Johanna (c. 1848 - 1922) , Mary Ann (c. 1851-c.1935) and possibly Thomas (1854-?). They lived in Melbourne, Brighton, Newtown, possibly Little River, possibly Forest Creek, Elphinstone and Bridgewater-on-Loddon. I am interested in finding out more about the family's early history. There is a William FULLERTON listed in the Directory of Port Phillip 1847 as Carpenter ,off Bourke Lane and Laborer, ditto. I am wondering if this might be my ancestor, as he was a Laborer, and later a Farmer. I am not sure how to find out though. What are the best sources for finding families in the 1840s and 1850s?

Thanks,
Aillin O'Brien