AUS-PT-JACKSON-CONVICTS-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-PT-JACKSON-CONVICTS > 2008-11 > 1225740205

From: "Sylvia Powers" <>
Subject: [PJ] New member
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 19:23:25 -0000

I have just joined this list and introduce myself. Is this the correct list to ask for information on convicts who were landed in Tasmania ? Hope you will forigve me if I have it wrong - am new to this !

Living outside Australia I am unable to purchase the - what looks like - most excellent CD containing information on convicts. From one of the links on this website to Tasmania Archives Online I have found the possible ancestor I am researching. However it does not give me as much information as I require and am now wondering how I find out more ?

The story goes - my father's ggrandfather changed his name from Twist to Aston on marriage as there was a convicted horse stealer in his family (there were a number of horse dealers in the family!) who was transported to Australia. I have found a James Twist transported 1819 and landed in Tasmania in 1820 on the ship Dromedary. But I do not know if this is anything to do with our family. I need to find out date of birth, his crime and where he came from to try and establish any link.

Many thanks

Sylvia Powers
Warwickshire
England