AUS-QLD-WESTERN-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-QLD-WESTERN > 2004-08 > 1092312240

From: "A O'Brien" <>
Subject: New to the list
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:04:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,

I am new to this list and to genealogy mailing lists in general.

I am 19, from Victoria, and studying at University. I have a keen interest in genealogy, and spend lots of my spare time working on my family tree.
Mostly I have been gathering together all my Mum's research onto computer, but this year I have become interested in researching a branch of my family tree that has been a little empty until now. Earlier this year I was inspired after finding an Inquest into my 3rd Great Grandmother's death in 1858. I decided to spend time focussing on this particular family and their descendants, in the hope of publishing a book later on.

The family of interest is the Fullertons. William FULLERTON (abt 1815 - 1869) & his wife Mary DUNNE (abt 1819 - 1858) (My 3rd Great Grandparents) arrived in Port Phillip in September 1840 on the 'Himalaya'. They came from County Kildare, Ireland, William an 'agriculturalist' and Mary a 'dairy maid'.
They had at least 6 children: Peter (1840 - 1924), Michael (1842-1842), James (1843 - 1889), Bridget Elizabeth (1845 - 1923), Johanna (abt 1848 - 1922), Mary Ann (abt 1851 - abt 1935) and possibly Thomas (1854 - ?).

Peter and James FULLERTON drove cattle from Victoria to Queensland in about the 1860s. Peter, my 2nd Great Grandfather, returned to Victoria and married in 1876. James remained in Queensland. From information I have gathered so far, it appears that James lived at Retreat Station on the Barcoo River. He is listed in the 1870 - 1879 Queensland Electoral Roll and in the Queensland Horse and Cattle Brands Index 1873 - 1879, residing at Retreat. I have not yet established when he first settled there.
James married Agnes ORD in Isisford in 1882. Their child De Renzie Percival FULLERTON was born in Blackall in 1884. James and his family, along with brother-in-law David ORD, who managed neighbouring Welford Downs (which I believe is now Welford National Park??), moved north to Mitchell Vale Station near Port Douglas in 1887. James died there in 1889.

I am keen to learn more about my 2nd Great Grandfather and his brother, especially about their cattle droving, and about James' station on the Barcoo. I am very uncertain about where to start though. I hope (most likely in a few years) to go up to Queensland and takes some photos for inclusion in the family history book.

I'm looking forward to being a part of this mailing list.

Thanks,
Aillin