AUS-VIC-GEELONG-DISTRICT-L Archives

From: "A O'Brien" <>
Subject: [GEELONG] Co. Kildare passengers on the Himalaya 1840 - Welsh,Campbell, Fullerton etc.
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 22:38:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,
I am studing for a Grad. Dip. in local, family and applied history. At the moment I researching for an assignment focussed on the lives of several bounty assisted immigrants from County Kildare, Ireland who arrived in Port Phillip on the Himalaya in September 1840. In the assignment I will focus on the first generation in Australia, how successful or not they were in Port Phillip, and how their experiences contrast/conform to attitudes towards assisted immigrants expressed by some historians.

Among the Himalaya immigrants I am researching are my own ancestors, William & Mary FULLERTON.

Two other families I am who researching (who are not my relatives - that I know of!) lived in the Geelong area:

(1) Oliver WELSH/WALSH (b Co Dublin c1815) and wife Mary BERNARD/BARNARD (b Co Dublin c1818) married in Clane, Co. Kildare, 5 June 1840. Oliver came to Port Phillip as Carpenter and was employed by Mr MACK of Geelong (J G MACK?). Children from this marriage were:
- Catherine b Geelong, bap 1841 in St Francis Melbourne
- William b Corio bap 1846 in St Mary's Geelong
- Robert b Corio bap 1846 in St Mary's Geelong
- Maria b Corio bap 1849 St Mary's Geelong, d bef 12 Nov 1855.
- Mary Ann bap 1850 in Christ Church, Geelong (Change of religious denomination???)
- Sarah Ann b c1853 d 1854 Geelong, inquest - run over by a dray
- Elizabeth WELSH b 12 Nov 1855 Gherringhap Street, Geelong, d 1855 in Geelong. Oliver's occupation in 1855 was a Wheelwright.

I don't yet know when Mary (BERNARD) died, but Oliver remarried in 1859, Jessie FRASER (b c1834 in Methven, Perthshire, Scotland, d 1889 Geelong)
Children from this marriage were:

- Oliver James born c 1859 and died in 1859 in Geelong
- John b 1859 Geelong, died 1860 Geelong
- Oliver b 1860 Geelong d 1937 Ballarat
- Jessie b 1861 Geelong d 1864 Geelong
- Alice b ? d 1864 Geelong
- Thomas b 1864 Geelong,d 1935 Newtown
- Priscilla b 1865 Geelong
- Charles b 1867 Geelong d 1945
- George b 1869 Geelong, d 1885
- John b 1870 Geelong d 1870 Geelong
- Jane b 1871 Geelong d 1874 Geelong
- Sarah Ann b 1873 Geelong d 1874 Geelong
- Henry Allan b 1874 Geelong

Oliver died in 1882 (he took his own life) at which time he was a 'former hotel keeper' and owned a house in La Trobe Terrace, a building occupied by the Geelong Ladies College (Gheringhap St), a building occupied by the Australian Alliance Assurance Company (Yarra St) and some land in the parish of Meredith, as well as the Corio Hotel (Little Malop St), the Sir Charles Darling Hotel (Bellarine/Little Malop St), the Royal Mail Hotel (Yarra St/Corio St) and the Sawyers Arms Hotel (Noble St).

Oliver was a publican by at least 1868 (source: Bailliere's Victorian Directory). I would love to be able to fill in some of gaps in his story. If anyone is a descendant of Oliver & Mary or they know anything more about his life, it would be great to hear from them.

The Book St Mary's Geelong: its Founding Community stated that Oliver had a relative Richard who married Mary MALONY (whom I have found on the Pioneers Index). I would like to discover the source of this relationship information if possible.

The second family from the Geelong area I am researching are the CAMPBELLs.

(2) James CAMBELL (b c1814 Co Kildare). James arrived on the Himalaya with his sister Judy/Julia. They were both employed by __ McNALL (the writing on the disposal list is difficult to decipher - either Jas or Jno) of Melbourne. James CAMPBELL married Mary JELLY/GELLIE at Campbellfield Presbyterian in 1844. Children of this marriage were:

-Elizabeth b Newtown bap 1845 St Francis Melbourne
-Margaret b Geelong bap 1847 Presbyerian Geelong
-Mary b Geelong bap 1850 Presbyterian Geelong
-James b Cowie's Creek bap 1851 St Mary's Geelong
-Wm Alex b c1855 d 1938 Geelong

James was farmer at Cowie's Creek. I am already in contact with a relative of this family, but if anyone has any further clues about their story it would be great to hear from them.

I'm hoping to get to Geelong for some research and would really appreciate any suggestions for sources I could check etc.

Any help anyone can offer would be most appreciated and definitely acknowledged.

Thanks,

Aillin O'Brien

Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7. http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset

This thread: