AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS > 2004-08 > 1093317531

From: "A O'Brien" <>
Subject: Fullerton family - Elphinstone, Inglewood
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:19:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I am new to this list and to genealogy mailing lists in general.

I have recently been researching the family and descendants of my G G G Grandparents William and Mary (nee DUNNE) FULLERTON.

William and Mary immigrated from County Kildare Ireland in 1840 on the 'Himalaya' to Port Phillip.
William worked a farmer and labourer. The family lived in several different locations: Melbourne, Brighton, Geelong, Elphinstone and Bridgewater-on-Loddon. William and Mary had at least 6 children: Peter (1840 - 1924), Michael (1842 - 1842), James (1843 - 1899), Bridget Elizabeth (1845 -1923), Johannah (c.1848 - 1922), Mary Ann (c.1851 - c. 1935) and possibly Thomas (1854 - ?). Thomas is listed in the Victorian Pioneer Index as Thomas FULLER parents William FULLER and Mary DUNN, born at Forest Creek.
The Baptism record on the certificate says the same.

As I am fairly new to genealogy research, I am not sure where to look for a few pieces of information that I am missing. Any help would be most apreciated, thanks :-)
I just need to be pointed in the right direction!!

Mary FULLERTON (wife of William) died suddenly on 1st June 1858 at Elphinstone. There was an inquest into her death.
Her death certificate was filled in by the coroner W.F. PRESHAW, so the details of her birth date and place, parents,marriage and burial place are not filled in. The Inquest papers did not reveal these details either.
Does anyone have any ideas as to where Mary might have been buried? I have searched the records for Elphinstone and Campbell's Creek but have not found her.

William is listed in the 1856 electoral roll as "Freeholder land and tenement" at Elphinstone. Is it possible to be able to find the location of his land? The parish map of Elphinstone did not include him.

William died at Inglewood Hospital on the 7th of June 1869. Are there existing records for Inglewood Hospital during that period?
As with Mary's death certificate, William's was not filled in by family. I believe that at the time of his death his oldest sons, Peter (my G G Grandfather) and James were droving cattle to Queensland. I have found William in the Probate Index in 1874 and hope to see what the administration papers might reveal when I next get to the PROV.

Some names and places associated with the descendants of the FULLERTONs are as follows:

FENELON, HARVEY, HOUGHTON (Bridgewater-on-Loddon, Tocumwal NSW, Numurkah, Ascot Vale)
BROWN ( Egerton near Elmore, Bendigo, Ballarat, Clarendon, Sale, Benalla, Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds, Mentone, Flemington, McKinnon, North Melbourne, Footscray)
AUSTIN (Clarendon, Ascot Vale, Fitzroy)
COURT (Clarendon, Cheltenham)
WEBBER (Ballarat, Ascot Vale)
FOX (Kangaroo Flat)
If any of this sounds familiar, please contact me for further information.

Thanks,

A. O'Brien