AUS-VIC-HEATHCOTE-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-VIC-HEATHCOTE > 2005-02 > 1108800340

From: "A O'Brien" <>
Subject: Re: Wattle Flat
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:05:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi Peter,
I feel that Wattle Flat was close to Heathcote,
probably near Mt Ida. I read of it in J.O. Randell's
book "McIvor" page 324 -

"Arrangements were made for a match to take place
early in January 1861 between the Heathcote Cricket
Club and the newly formed Diggers Cricket Club which
replaced the defunct Mt Ida Cricket Club... A return
match was played on the 4th of February on the
Diggers' ground at Wattle Flat...Samuel Parkin a
storekeeper at Wattle Flat was the secretary of the
Diggers Club."

My interest is in the Parkin family.
Thanks for your help.

Aillin

Hello Aillin,

The closest Wattle Flat that I know off is just west
of
Taradale/Malmsbury,
but I'm not sure whether one would call that 'near'.

Cheers

Peter