BAYLESS-L Archives

Archiver > BAYLESS > 2000-08 > 0965834853

From: Barbara Ribling <>
Subject: RE: [BAYLESS] Samuel Gilbert Bayless
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 11:27:33 -0400

Here is a descendant report that includes my notes:

Descendants of William Bayless

Generation No. 1

1. WILLIAM6 BAYLESS (SAMUEL5 BAYLES, DANIEL4, DANIEL3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was
born Nov 03, 1774 in Loudon Co., VA, and died Dec 05, 1845 in Monroe Co.,
TN. He married (1) CATHARINE HAIRE Oct 10, 1797 in Washington Co.,
TN. She was born Feb 14, 1776, and died 1819. He married (2) SARAH
DICKSON Oct 25, 1825 in Monroe Co., TN. She was born Abt. 1757, and died
Abt. 1853 in Monroe Co., TN.

Notes for WILLIAM BAYLESS:
William Bayless was the head of a well documented TN family. His
descendant Charles W. Bayless wrote about the family in a newspaper column
in Monroe Co., TN. Unfortunately, William's second marriage to Sarah was
not a happy one and the pair had many legal troubles. Court records
document the family problems regarding William, Sarah and Sarah's slaves
which she brought to the marriage. Sarah was the widow of a Revolutionary
War veteran and as such, she was the owner of several slaves and property
inherited from her first husband. After the death of William, Sarah made
claims for the war pension of her first husband. In her will, Sarah made
provisions to return her slaves to Africa.

Notes for SARAH DICKSON:
Sarah Dickson was a widow when she married William Bayless. She brought
property to her second marriage and took legal action to retain it. After
the death of William, she made herself known as the widow Dickson and
applied for her first husband's Revolutionary War pension.

Children of WILLIAM BAYLESS and CATHARINE HAIRE are:
i.SARAH7 BAYLESS, b. Jul 21, 1798; d. Oct 1852.
2.ii.SAMUEL G. BAYLESS, b. Abt. 1801, Washington Co., TN; d. Abt. 1867,
Washington Co., TN.
iii.HANNAH BAYLESS, b. Apr 26, 1805; d. Unknown.
iv.PHOEBE BAYLESS, b. Mar 17, 1808, Washington Co., TN; d. Unknown; m.
ISAAC CHRISTMAN, Jul 21, 1840; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
3.v.PIKE BAYLESS, b. 1810, Jonesboro, TN; d. Aug 11, 1863, Elwood, MO.
vi.LEE BAYLESS, b. 1811.
4.vii.SMITH BAYLESS, b. Aug 18, 1816, Washington Co., TN; d. Jan 12,
1896, Monroe Co., TN.
5.viii.CATHERINE ELIZABETH BAYLESS, b. Aug 1819, Washington Co., TN; d.
1863, Monroe Co., TN.
---------------
Generation No. 2

2. SAMUEL G.7 BAYLESS (WILLIAM6, SAMUEL5 BAYLES, DANIEL4, DANIEL3, JOHN2,
JOHN1) was born Abt. 1801 in Washington Co., TN, and died Abt. 1867 in
Washington Co., TN. He married TEMANDRA BROWN Aug 08, 1821 in Washington
Co., TN, daughter of THOMAS BROWN and ANN ?. She was born Abt. 1802, and
died Aft. Jul 1870 in TN.

Notes for TEMANDRA BROWN:
Grandaughter of Jacob Brown, Indian Trader and Revolutionary War hero at
the Battle of Kings Mountain.

Children of SAMUEL BAYLESS and TEMANDRA BROWN are:
6.i.HIRAM8 BAYLESS, b. 1835; d. Unknown.
ii.ANN E. BAYLESS, b. Unknown.
iii.CATHERINE BAYLESS, b. Unknown.
iv.JAMES W. BAYLESS, b. Unknown.
v.JULIA ADALINE BAYLESS, b. Unknown.
vi.PHEBE L. BAYLESS, b. Unknown.
vii.RUTH JANE BAYLESS, b. Unknown.
7.viii.SARAH E. BAYLESS, b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
ix.THOMAS D. BAYLESS, b. Unknown.
x.WILLIAM BAYLESS, b. Unknown.

3. PIKE7 BAYLESS (WILLIAM6, SAMUEL5 BAYLES, DANIEL4, DANIEL3, JOHN2,
JOHN1) was born 1810 in Jonesboro, TN, and died Aug 11, 1863 in Elwood,
MO. He married JULIANA HEYNIE 1835. She was born Feb 21, 1814 in TN, and
died Aug 25, 1897 in Elwood, MO.

Notes for PIKE BAYLESS:
Carol Knapp, a descendant of Catherine Elizabeth, dau. of Pike, has
submitted additional information about the family of Pike Bayless. Carol
has the probate record for Pike. Pike and his wife Juliana were both
buried at Clear Creek Cem., Elwood, MO.

Children of PIKE BAYLESS and JULIANA HEYNIE are:
i.SAMUEL G.8 BAYLESS, b. 1836, TN.
8.ii.GEORGE WASHINGTON BAYLESS, b. Jun 21, 1838, McMinn Co., TN; d. 1915,
Elwood, MO.
iii.WILLIAM H. BAYLESS, b. 1840, TN.
iv.CATHERINE ELIZABETH BAYLESS, b. Jan 06, 1842, Sweetwater, TN; d. Mar
05, 1926, Elk, WA; m. JOHN "PAPPY" RILEY, Mar 06, 1864, Sweetwater, TN.
v.JOHN S. BAYLESS, b. 1844, TN.
vi.PHOEBE J. BAYLESS, b. 1846, TN.
vii.MARY S. BAYLESS, b. 1849, TN.
viii.NANCY A. BAYLESS, b. 1850, TN.
ix.WILSON P. BAYLESS, b. 1851, TN.

4. SMITH7 BAYLESS (WILLIAM6, SAMUEL5 BAYLES, DANIEL4, DANIEL3, JOHN2,
JOHN1) was born Aug 18, 1816 in Washington Co., TN, and died Jan 12, 1896
in Monroe Co., TN. He married NARCISSA HICKS. She was born Jun 08, 1820
in Monroe Co., TN, and died Apr 20, 1904 in Monroe Co., TN.

Children of SMITH BAYLESS and NARCISSA HICKS are:
i.GEORGE8 BAYLESS, b. 1847; d. Unknown.
ii.WILLIAM HICKS BAYLESS, b. 1849; d. Unknown, Jefferson City, TN.
iii.SAMUEL MILTON BAYLESS, b. Mar 1852, Monroe Co., TN; d. May 16, 1915,
Monroe Co., TN.
iv.SMITH BAYLESS, JR., b. 1855; d. Unknown.
v.DANIEL BAYLESS, b. 1856; d. Unknown.
vi.SALLIE E. BAYLESS, b. Sep 14, 1858; d. Apr 23, 1901, Monroe Co., TN.
vii.JOANNA BAYLESS, b. Jun 19, 1861, Monroe Co., TN; d. Nov 23, 1916,
Monroe Co., TN.

5. CATHERINE ELIZABETH7 BAYLESS (WILLIAM6, SAMUEL5 BAYLES, DANIEL4,
DANIEL3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Aug 1819 in Washington Co., TN, and died
1863 in Monroe Co., TN. She married MARK MORE HICKS Oct 11, 1838 in Monroe
Co., TN, son of CHARLES HICKS and SARAH HOUK. He was born Feb 21, 1811 in
Boyds Creek, Knox Co., TN, and died Unknown in Monroe Co., TN.

Children of CATHERINE BAYLESS and MARK HICKS are:
i.MARY ELIZABETH8 HICKS, b. Aft. 1838; d. Unknown.
ii.CHARLES WESLEY "C.W." HICKS, b. Dec 13, 1842, Monroe Co., TN; d. Oct
22, 1923, Madisonville, TN; m. SUSAN K. COLTHARP, Oct 20, 1870, Monroe Co.,
TN; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.

Notes for CHARLES WESLEY "C.W." HICKS:
There is much information about C.W. in "The Tennessee Civil War Veterans
Questionaires" Vol.3, pp. 1090-1093. This includes much about the Hicks
and Houk families and about C.W.'s war experiences.

He was conscripted by the Confederate Army at age 18 in the spring of
1860. Because of inflamitory Rheumatism, he did not volunteer. He and 3
others formed a company and provided the capital to make nitrate of potash
a Craighead cave. Seven others were detailed to them and they worked for 2
1/2 years until Federal troops came to Sweetwater, 4 miles away, in Sept. 1863.

CD#2 lists the marriage of a C.W. Hicks to Mattie Ballard in Dec. 1879 in
McLean Co., KY.

iii.PHOEBE ANGELINE HICKS, b. Dec 12, 1844, Monroe Co., TN; d. 1890; m.
WILLIAM WILSON, Sep 26, 1869; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
iv.SARAH ISABELLA HICKS, b. Jan 30, 1847, Monroe Co., TN; d. Nov 25,
1924, Sweetwater, TX; m. FRANCIS MARION "FRANK" MITCHELL, Feb 14, 1871,
Monroe Co., TN; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
9.v.CATHARINE ELIZABETH HICKS, b. Jul 17, 1851, Monroe Co., TN; d. Jun
27, 1935, Monroe Co., TN.
vi.WILLIAM MILTON HICKS, b. 1855, Monroe Co., TN; d. Unknown, TX.
vii.MARK AUGUSTUS HICKS, b. Jul 05, 1856, Monroe Co., TN; d. Mar 28,
1918, Monroe Co., TN; m. NICIE JANE COCHRAN; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
------------------
Generation No. 3

6. HIRAM8 BAYLESS (SAMUEL G.7, WILLIAM6, SAMUEL5 BAYLES, DANIEL4, DANIEL3,
JOHN2, JOHN1) was born 1835, and died Unknown. He married SARAH
HENLEY. She was born 1836, and died 1911.

Child of HIRAM BAYLESS and SARAH HENLEY is:
10.i.THOMAS BROWN9 BAYLESS, b. 1866, Nr Jonesborough, TN; d. 1942.

7. SARAH E.8 BAYLESS (SAMUEL G.7, WILLIAM6, SAMUEL5 BAYLES, DANIEL4,
DANIEL3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Unknown, and died Unknown. She married
MICHAEL ROBERT SEVIER, son of JOHN SEVIER and SOPHIA GAROUTTE. He was born
Jun 18, 1822, and died Unknown.

Children of SARAH BAYLESS and MICHAEL SEVIER are:
i.ELBRIDGE GERRY9 SEVIER, b. Unknown.
ii.SOPHIA T. SEVIER, b. Abt. 1850; d. Unknown; m. (1) WILLIAM A.
LAVENDER; b. Unknown; d. Unknown; m. (2) ALBERT A. MOSELY; b. Unknown; d.
Unknown.
iii.SAMUEL SEVIER, b. Unknown.
iv.ROBERT E. SEVIER, b. Unknown.
v.ABRAHAM SEVIER, b. Unknown.
vi.JOHN SEVIER, b. Unknown.
vii.ARCHIBALD SEVIER, b. Unknown.
viii.ANNA M. SEVIER, b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
ix.MARY L. SEVIER, b. Unknown.
x.MARTHA E. SEVIER, b. Unknown.
xi.LEONIDAS A. SEVIER, b. Unknown.

8. GEORGE WASHINGTON8 BAYLESS (PIKE7, WILLIAM6, SAMUEL5 BAYLES, DANIEL4,
DANIEL3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Jun 21, 1838 in McMinn Co., TN, and died
1915 in Elwood, MO. He married MARY CATHERINE LOVELL Sep 27, 1864 in
Butesville, AR. She was born Feb 23, 1839, and died Sep 05, 1905.

Children of GEORGE BAYLESS and MARY LOVELL are:
i.DANIEL WILSON9 BAYLESS, b. Mar 24, 1866; d. 1942, Republic, MO.
ii.SAMUEL STRONG BAYLESS, b. Sep 10, 1869; d. Unknown; m. OLLIE WALMAR,
Oct 1890; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
iii.VIRGINIA "JENNIE" BAYLESS, b. Sep 23, 1871, Bonham, TX; d. Aft. 1944;
m. (1) CLINT WEBBER, Bef. 1907, Springfield, MO; b. Unknown; d. Unknown; m.
(2) WILLIAM R. JOHNSON, Apr 23, 1907, Bisbee, AZ; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
iv.ROBERT NICHOLAS BAYLESS, b. Feb 16, 1873; d. Unknown; m. RACHEL
WILLIAMS; b. Unknown; d. Unknown.

9. CATHARINE ELIZABETH8 HICKS (CATHERINE ELIZABETH7 BAYLESS, WILLIAM6,
SAMUEL5 BAYLES, DANIEL4, DANIEL3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Jul 17, 1851 in
Monroe Co., TN, and died Jun 27, 1935 in Monroe Co., TN. She married LEWIS
A. MITCHELL. He was born Aug 20, 1856 in Monroe Co., TN, and died Jan 23,
1940 in Madisonville, TN.

Child of CATHARINE HICKS and LEWIS MITCHELL is:
i.LUTHER JOSEPH9 MITCHELL, b. Sep 19, 1887, Monroe Co., TN; d. Mar 25,
1982, Maryville, Monroe Co., TN; m. PEARL GLENN BROOKS, Aug 27, 1911,
Jackson Ferry, Loudon Co., TN; b. Jan 03, 1889, Monroe Co., TN; d. Jan 22,
1968, Monroe Co., TN.
-----------------
Generation No. 4

10. THOMAS BROWN9 BAYLESS (HIRAM8, SAMUEL G.7, WILLIAM6, SAMUEL5 BAYLES,
DANIEL4, DANIEL3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born 1866 in Nr Jonesborough, TN, and
died 1942. He married JENNIE IRVIN Jan 1895 in TN. She was born 1875, and
died 1970.

Notes for THOMAS BROWN BAYLESS:
Traveled to Ellis Co., TX at age 28 because of an interest in cotton
producing. He returned to TN and married in 1895. He and his wife then
moved to a farm near Palmer, TX where he improved his farm until January
1917. He bought a 265 acre farm near Lancaster, 15 miles south of
Dallas. This information was supplied by Frank Bayless, 1305 S. Buchannan,
Arlington, VA 22204. Reference: "The Bayless Book" by Howard Green Bayles.

Children of THOMAS BAYLESS and JENNIE IRVIN are:
i.NORMAN10 BAYLESS, b. Feb 1896; m. MILDRED LEVERITT, Jun 1927; b. Unknown.
ii.GERTRUDE BAYLESS, b. Mar 1897; d. Jan 1921; m. FRED HAMM, Dec 1915; b.
Unknown; d. May 1960.
iii.WILLIAM BAYLESS, b. Jan 1899; d. Aug 1982; m. LOIS ADKINS, Apr 1926;
b. Unknown.
iv.GENEVA BAYLESS, b. Oct 1900; m. CECIL EDWARDS, Mar 1924; b. Unknown;
d. Jul 1960.
v.LORENA BAYLESS, b. Dec 1901; m. LUTHER BARNES, Dec 1924; b. Unknown.
vi.BEN BAYLESS, b. Dec 1903; d. Mar 1981; m. EDITH RUPARD, Jun 1928; b.
Unknown.
vii.BEULAH BAYLESS, b. Sep 1906; d. 1988; m. JOHN BULLARD, 1928; b.
Unknown; d. 1983.
viii.OFFIE BAYLESS, b. Aug 1908; d. Feb 1984; m. ETNA DYE, May 1932; b.
Unknown; d. Jan 1979.

Notes for OFFIE BAYLESS:
The children's names are given as BAYLESS in Bill Allen's database;
however, they should be DYE it would seem.

ix.FRANK BAYLESS, b. May 1910; m. (1) CHERRIE PAGE, Sep 1934; b. Unknown;
m. (2) BERNICE BOGEN, Mar 1951; b. Unknown.
x.JACK BAYLESS, b. Oct 1913; m. BANNIE SKINNER, Jun 1938; b. Unknown.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do have information on ancestors back to 1635 in NY. This is all
included in the GED on my WEB site. I have some of the court information
about William and Sarah Bayless as extracted in a book of county
records. Briefly, Sarah ran away with another man and took her slaves with
her. William sued for the return of the slaves (not for the return of
Sarah!). The slaves belonged to Sarah and she kept them but did return to
William. In her will, Sarah made provisions for 3 of her slaves to be
returned to Africa with enough money to support them for 6 months. The
slaves did not want to go and went to court to prevent it. The slaves lost
their case, as I recall, and their fate afterwards is unknown. I believe
that Sarah did not want any of William's children to inherit her slaves
which would probably have been the case had she not arranged to send them
to Africa. An unpleasant marriage, one wonders why she married
William? William's son Smith also had some legal problems and there are
several court records regarding them.

There has been from time to time, some erroneous information about Samuel
G. Bayless. Various people have submitted things to me and at one point, 4
different wives were assigned to him. Only two of these can be proven with
any certainty and of the two, Temandra Brown does appear in the census
records. I had to redo my information about him as I had included all the
submissions. It was obvious that there were many errors and I am uncertain
if I have removed them all. I must once again stress the importance of
verifying any of this information.

In the town library in Athens, TN, in the genealogy section, is a folder
for BAYLESS. This folder was probably originated by Reba Bayless Boyer, an
Athens resident. Included in the folder are clippings of articles written
by C.W. (Charles Wesley) HICKS for a Monroe Co. newspaper. These articles
may have more information about this family. Copies of the articles can
probably be obtained by writing the library. I had copies but have lost
them (I've been hunting them for years as they are interesting and
informative).

On the main page of my WEB site (see the URL below) there is a link for
"Alma's Album". In "Alma's Album" you will see photos of Catherine
Elizabeth Bayless Riley, dau. of Pike, and her family as submitted to me by
Carol Knapp.

Barbara Ribling

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/545

This thread: