BERKSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > BERKSHIRE > 2005-07 > 1122439263

From: "A O'Brien" <>
Subject: MANLEY Family, Erleigh/Earley Court, Sonning
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:41:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I am interested in finding our more about the MANLEY
family of Erleigh/Earley Court near Sonning
(http://www.berkshirehistory.com/castles/erleigh_court.html)

I have the Will of someone I believe is a relative of
mine, William MATTHEWS of Wantage died 1784. In the
will he mentions his "cousin Dame Elizabeth Pryce".

Further seaches of some indexes and wills have
revealed that Dame Elizabeth PRYCE (wife of Sir John
Powell PRYCE of Newton Hall, Montgomeryshire) was the
daughter of Richard MANLEY(d.1741) and Elizabeth
(DAVEY?), and Richard was the son of John MANLEY and
Susanna(d. 1746 in Cheshire).

Does anyone know anything more about this family? I am
hoping to find out what their connection is to the
MATTHEWS family.

The MATTHEWS family were from Goosey and Stanford in
the Vale. William MATTHEWS'(d.1784) parents were
William MATTHEWS & Mary (maiden name not yet known).
His mother died and his father remarried another Mary
(Mary HUNSDON I think). Some preliminary research
seems to suggest that William's (d.1784) grandparents
were William MATTHEWS and Elizabeth GASCOIGNE.

William (d.1784) also mentions MATTHEWS' from Crookham
and Bothampstead in his Will.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Aillin,