BLANKENSHIP-L Archives

Archiver > BLANKENSHIP > 1998-05 > 0896307073

From: "Don Blankenship" <>
Subject: Finding out that you are part American Indian - Blankenship Family History
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:11:13 -0400

From: Don Blankenship <>
Subject: Finding out that you are part American Indian
Date: Wednesday, May 27, 1998 5:04 PM

Recently the host of the BLANKENSHIP RootsWeb listing asked if any
subscriber on the list was known to have American Indian blood, or if they
knew their Blankenship ancestors married American Indians. I responded to
the questionnaire sent by Kay ( ) stating I had no such
knowledge that my Blankenships ancestors were married to American Indians.
I now am resubmitting information for that questionnaire because I just
discovered that I was quite wrong on the matter. Historically documented
materials provided me on 26 May 1998 provide proof that my paternal great
great grandmother Mary Josephine Shockley was of American Indian extraction
through her parents, the BIRDSONG Indian family. The Birdsongs in my family
line apparently migrated from Tennessee to Miller County, Missouri sometime
between 1843-1846. Other Birdsongs families already were in Miller County
along the Osage River prior to the arrival of my line (John & Catherine)
and are recorded in the 1840 census. Below is the decsendency line of this
intermarriage beginning with John Birdsong whose daughter Mary married John
R. Shockley in 1851 in Miller County, MO and whose daugher Mary Josephine
(my great grandmother) subequently married Joel R. Blankenship my great
grandfather. I have omitted the lengthy biographic data for later
generations.

If only I had known that I had even one little drop of Indian blood as a
young child growing up in Missouri in the 1940's—how much happier my
childhood days would have been. At that time of my youth I often would beg
my maternal grandmother to tell me I was part Indian, even if she had to
make it up. Knowing that I was part Indian would have made my everyday game
of cowboys and Indians just that much more exciting and wonderful. It was
not until last night that I discovered this fact when another genealogist I
work with sent me the documentary evidence of this aspect of my genetic and
genealogy make-up. I was aware of the existence of the Birdsong Indian
families in the County where my parents were raised, but just never took
notice of it because I did not know I was related to American Indians at
any time in my past. Vigorously pursuing my own genenealgy quest has
provided me new levels of insight I never experienced before.

Someone recently asked me on this Blankenship RootsWeb if all of my
genealogy holdings came exclusively from Colonel Leslie Blankenship's book,
"The History of the Blankenship Family." At first I was insulted by the
question but thought better of it and provided a proper answer. I would
hope this message and the many others from previous submissions I have made
did not lead this person, or others, to think I rely only on a single
source of information. If there is one thing I have learned it is that the
Internet is an inexhaustible genealogy resource in itself. The game plan
that works best is to set out as many hooks as you possible can. Everywhere
you can go on the Internet and post a relevant genealogy query is just one
more opportunity you may possibly get a bite. Sometimes it's a big bite! In
my case, the association made between my Blankenship line and the Birdsong
American Indian family came as a result of exchanging information with
other genealogists and setting hooks by posting messages on genealogy
bulletin boards, Rootweb listings, GenWeb submissions, postings to Family
Tree Maker (World Family Tree, CD-ROM Archives), GenServ submissions of my
GEDCOM files and other archival or bulletin board systems. In spite of all
this, I still am relative new to the Blankenship family line. The best
resource to date for the Blankenship line has been the Blankenship Roostweb
archives available for searching by all of you. The submissions for all
these Blankenship archives come from you, so thanks to all. Be sure to put
the address on all your TO: lines when you are
exchanging info. That way your messages will later be archived and easily
can be searched using keywords.

Below then is my Blankenship family association with American Indians
The ancestors of John & Catherine Birdsong (either one or both of them)
were probably Cherokee, Chicasaw, Choctaw or Creek Indians from Tennessee.
The most likely guess is that they were of Cherokee Indian extraction. This
is because the Cherokees were a civilized tribe who first made peace with
the British in the mid-1600's and later with the early American pioneers in
Tennessee. They earlier had been pushed down from the Great Lakes
region—after some gentle persuasion by white settlers. The Cherokees
adopted the religious practices of the European settlers and they invented
their own alphabet around 1820. Books were even published in their own
language. The tombstones and chronicles of the Birdsong families in Miller
County, MO during the 1800's reflect that they were religious followers of
the Christian faith.

Generation No. 1

1. John1 Birdsong was born Abt. 1797 in Tennessee. He married Catherine
(LNU).

Children of John Birdsong and Catherine are:
+2i.Mary2 Birdsong, born Abt. 1834 in Tennessee.
3ii.Louisa Birdsong, born Abt. 1828.
4iii.Sarah Birdsong, born Abt. 1830.
5iv.Caroline Birdsong, born Abt. 1834.
6v.Thomas Birdsong, born Abt. 1838.
7vi.Lucinda Birdsong, born Abt. 1840.
8vii.John Birdsong, born Abt. 1841.
9viii.George Birdsong, born Abt. 1843.
10ix.Benjamin Birdsong, born Abt. 1846.

Generation No. 2

2. Mary2 Birdsong (John1) was born Abt. 1834 in Tennessee. She married
John R. Shockley 30 October 1851 in Miller County, MO, son of Joshua
Shockley and Sara McCubbins.

Notes for Mary Birdsong:
The 1850 Miller County Census lists the family of Mary Birdsong, gives her
age as 16, shows that she was living with her parents John and Catherine
Birdsong and states that she was born in Tennessee. In the Miller County,
Missouri historical publication Osage River Country, it is stated that Mary
Songbird was of American Indian extraction. It is possible, that because of
her birth in Tennessee she may have been Cherokee, Chickasaw or Choctaw
Indian—with Cherokee Indian extraction being the most likely. In the 1840
census, shortly after the statehood of Missouri, it is evident that other
Birdsong's families also were living along the Osage River in the area of
Tuscumbia and Iberia, Missouri where her family lived in 1850.

>From the 1850 census of Miller County, MO:

 294 Birdsong     John              m 53    TN
              Catherine          f 44    TN
              Louisa             f 22    AL
              Sarah             f 20    AL
              Caroline           f 17    TN
              Mary              f 16    TN
              Thomas            m 14    TN
               Lucinda            f 10    TN
              John              m 9     TN
              George            m 7     TN
              Benjamin           m 4     MO

Extracted from the Miller County, Missouri
Marriage Transcriptions from 1838-1870
Groom: Shockley, John