BOYD-L Archives

Archiver > BOYD > 2002-08 > 1030665655

From: Lauren Boyd <>
Subject: [BOYD] House of Boyd: 137th Annual Caledonian Club of San Francisco's Scottish Gathering and Games
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:04:20 -0700

Confido!

Dear Cousins, Listmembers and Members of the House of Boyd Society:

I am pleased to announce that we will again be hosting the House of
Boyd Tent at the 136th Annual Caledonian Club of San Francisco's Scottish Gathering and
Games this weekend. They are held in Pleasanton, California, at the Alameda County
Fairgrounds. You will find us right next to the Clan Stewart Society in America tent.
We will occupy spaces 25, 26, 27 and 28, as usual, near the Childrens' Glen.

Tent volunteers this year are James Boyd, Mike and Sally Boyd, Chris
and Nona Boyd, as well as our Genealogist, Cal Boyd and myself. Not
to go without mentioning, we will be assisted throughout the weekend
by various members of Clan Stewart who claim us as cousins. We look
forward to seeing Margaret and Charles Leitch of Las Vegas, NV that
usually make the drive for this event.

As this is the grand-daddy of all Scottish Games and Gatherings,
purportedly the largest in the world, we look forward to seeing many
many Boyd and associate family name folk seeking a visit and a bit
of history. We have stocked up on tee-shirts and will re-order if
sold out this weekend!

Each year we try to add a little more to the tent display and to update
our handouts so they will be fresh to those that come every year.
Come visit the tent to see what we have done!

If you are able, please do come and join us at the tent. Bring your
cooler and join us in a potluck weekend. We should have enough chairs
for the army we ususally have! Come and visit with other Boyds, explore
the Genealogical and Scottish History, including Boyd specific, books
that we bring (about 100 lbs worth!). This is your opportunity to bring
your genealogy and speak with others about your research. Cal will have
the hard copy of the database on hand. The Clan tent is home away from
home at the games. We cordially invite you to join us in the Clan March,
held approximately noon each day.

This is a wonderful event that has something for everyone. The closing
event is not to be missed. There are usually 750 pipers, then drummers
and the US Marine Corps band playing along. Amazing Grace wafts through
the crowd, with not many dry eyes to be found. It is quite moving. And
there is a bonus! Most that attend this ceremony are treated to a visit
by Robbie's Ghost for the next few days..... ye hear the pipers playing,
e'en tho none canna be found!

For more information and details please visit:
http://www.caledonian.org/

I look forward to seeing you there!

Yours Aye,

Lauren

Lauren M. Boyd
President
House of Boyd Society, Inc.
http://www.clanboyd.org

Clan Level Member: Council of Scottish Clans and Associations
Vice President, Scottish Information Society

This thread: