BOYD-L Archives

Archiver > BOYD > 2006-08 > 1156999765

Subject: [BOYD] Announcement: House of Boyd: 141st Annual Caledonian Club ofSan Francisco's Scottish Highland Gathering and Games
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:49:25 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Confido!

Dear Cousins, Listmembers and Members of the House of Boyd Society:

I am pleased to announce that we will again be hosting the House of Boyd Tent at the 141st Annual Caledonian Club of San Francisco's Scottish Gathering and Games this weekend. They are held in Pleasanton, California, at the Alameda County Fairgrounds. You will find us right next to the Clan Stewart Society in America tent.
We will occupy spaces 25, 26, 27 and 28, as usual, near the Childrens' Glen.

Tent volunteers this year are Mike and Sally Boyd and myself. James Boyd, our Southern California Convenor would like to attend, but is still recovering from recent shoulder surgery. Chris and Nona Boyd will be found in the Vendor area selling their fine English Toffee (made by a Scotsman, of course!) Not to go without mentioning, we will be assisted throughout the weekend by various members of Clan Stewart who claim us as cousins. Our new Editor, Kevin McLachlan, will also be on the grounds, however, he will be working at the MacLachlan tent -- drop by and say hello! We look forward to seeing all that are able to make it to this event. If you are interested in spending time helping out, we'd welcome it! No special skills are required other than being friendly. The rest can be learned.

As this is the grand-daddy of all Scottish Games and Gatherings, purportedly the largest in the world, we look forward to seeing many, many Boyd and associate family name folk seeking a visit and a bit of history. We have stocked up on tee-shirts and will re-order if sold out this weekend!

Each year we try to add a little more to the tent display and to update our handouts so they will be fresh to those that come every year. Come visit the tent to see what we have done!

If you are able, please do come and join us at the tent. Bring your cooler and join us in a potluck weekend. We should have enough chairs for the army we ususally have! Come and visit with other Boyds, explore the Genealogical and Scottish History, including Boyd specific, books that we bring (about 100 lbs worth!). This is your opportunity speak with others about your research. The Clan tent is home away from home at the games. We cordially invite you to join us in the Clan March, held approximately noon each day. Saturday night we hold a ceilidh in the camp area. It also is pot luck and not limited to Boyds. We share this dinner with folk from many clans. Come spend time with us after hours.

This is a wonderful event that has something for everyone. The closing event is not to be missed. There are usually 750 pipers, drummers and the US Marine Corps band playing along. Amazing Grace wafts through
the crowd, with not many dry eyes to be found. It is quite moving. And there is a bonus! Most that attend this ceremony are treated to a visit by Robbie's Ghost for the next few days..... ye hear the pipers playing, e'en tho none canna be found!

For more information and details please visit:
http://www.caledonian.org/

I look forward to seeing you there!

Yours Aye,

Lauren