BOYD-L Archives

Archiver > BOYD > 2009-08 > 1251477634

From: Lauren Boyd <>
Subject: [BOYD] San Francisco Caledonian Club's 144th Scottish GamesandHighland Gathering next weekend, Setpember 5 & 6th, 2009
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:40:34 -0700

Confido!

Dear Cousins:

Reminder:

It is that time of year again (already!).

Please join us next Saturday and Sunday at the Alameda County,
California Fairgrounds, Pleasanton. Plan to bring your family and
friends, chair and cooler. Use the clan tent as your "home away from
home."

Come and visit with other Boyds, explore the Genealogical and Scottish
History, including Boyd specific, books that we bring (about 100 lbs
worth!). This is your opportunity speak with others about your
research. The Clan tent is home away from home at the games. We
cordially invite you to join us in the Clan March, held approximately
noon each day. Saturday night you will find a ceilidh in the camp
area. It also is pot luck and not limited to Boyds. We share this
dinner with folk from many clans. Come spend time with us after hours.

We are again located near the grandstand IN THE SHADE, under the
trees, along side the hedge!  Spaces 137 & 138(probably).  If you
cannot spot us, ask around. All the clans have a list and a map and
can direct you to us! If you've not been in a few years,  there's
"new" tents  -- don't miss us looking for the old and familiar!  The
garage tent was retired and "new" 10x20 bit the dust in Texas on
Saturday of our 2008 AGM weekend.

Jim Boyd will be unable to join us again this year. He will be missed!
I have not heard yet if Sally and Michael plan to join us for part of
the weekend. I will look forward to a visit with them!  Chris and Nona
will be maning their "Brown's English Toffee" booth, however,
grandson, Rico will not be here to help at the tent this year. He
joined the Service last year and is still busy serving our country!

So..... this means that I need you to come forward and join in the fun
of meeting and greeting Boyds and associated family members who visit
the tent.  Don't be bashful -- if you are curious about working the
tent, come on by and stay a while. I will show you the ropes and can
use the help. This is the largest games and gathering in the world.

I will have the bottle of Talisker Whisky presented to us at The
Gathering 2009 on hand.  I will also have the quaich I purchased at
Scottish Parliament handy in order to share a wee dram.  We will have
photos on hand of The Gathering and will be able to share details of
the event with you.  We sold out of tees, clan badges and totes in
Scotland and do not have *any* on hand for Pleasanton, so we will be
taking advanced orders for our next batch.    We will also be ordering
button down shirts with embroidered patches over the left pocket.
Please do consider these make excellent birthday and Christmas and
unbirthday presents!

Dean Road Editor, Kevin McLachlan, will be spending time at our tent
this weekend. Do come by and meet him! He's bringing his massage chair
again and after all the loading, unloading, setting up, etc. I am
looking forward to my turn!

Sunday morning at 10:30am the Scottish Information Society, of which I
am also president, will hold their meeting at our tent.

Eleanor has promised new Boyd Castle photos will be taken on their
upcoming trip to Scotland in October.  Please remember to stop by her
booth and thank her for her efforts to
photograph every single Boyd related castle.  Let her know of other
venues you would like her and Clyde to capture photographically.
She's always pleased to oblige!  Visit their
website at http://www.photosbyeleanor.com

Steve Henricksen, Entertainment Chair for the SF Caledonian Club has
brought back Molly's Revenge, Tempest, Seven Nations and the Wicked
Tinkers. Isla St. Clair returns from
Scotland. Many other musical delights are on the schedule. Take a look!

http://www.caledonian.org/
http://www.caledonian.org/games.html
http://www.caledonian.org/games/entertainment.html

This is a wonderful event that has something for everyone. The closing
event is not to be missed. There are usually 750 pipers, drummers and
the US Marine Corps band playing
along. Amazing Grace wafts through the crowd, with not many dry eyes
to be found. It is quite moving. And there is a bonus! Most that
attend this ceremony are treated to a visit by Robbie's Ghost for the
next few days..... ye hear the pipers playing, e'en tho none canna be
found!

I look forward to visiting with any and all of you that can make it.

Yours Aye,

Lauren
Lauren M. Boyd, FSA Scot
Boyd Representative, Clan Leadership Conference Scottish Parliament,
Boyd Representative, Clan Leadership/Scottish Diaspora Conference
Queen Margaret University, 27 July 2009
President, House of Boyd Society, Inc.

http://www.clanboyd.org/pages/join.html
http://www.clanboyd.org/pages/officers.html