CAMPBELL-L Archives

Archiver > CAMPBELL > 2011-02 > 1296770160

From: "Lynden Harris" <>
Subject: [Campbell] AMBROSE CAMPBELL JR AND RHODA CHITTUM
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 16:56:00 -0500

First, review the will of Ambrose Campbell of Nelson county, son of Henry and Charity, as copied below from an earlier post by Phyllis Pengilly, a direct descendent of Ambrose Campbell and wife Margaret via their son Tandy.

Ambrose Campbell Will
Nelson Co., VA Will Book A p. 222
Entered 07 December 1812

I, Ambrose Campbell of the County of Nelson do hereby make my last will and testament in manner and form following (viz)

First: my will and desire is that all my just debts shall be paid.

Secondly: I leave to my wife, Margaret, all my stock of every kind, my household and kitchen furniture, and plantation, utensils, also she is to live on my land and to cultivate the same as she may think proper during her natural life.

Thirdly: After the death of my wife, I give and bequeath to my son Peter Campbell, one hundred acres of my land wherein I now live to be laid off where he now lives, together with having the benefit of one half of my orchard on the part I now live on, to him and his heirs forever.

Fourthly; I give and bequeath to my Daughter Lucy Campbell seventy four and three fourth acres land being part of the land I now live on, and the part where I live (is one half the orchard given my son Peter) and one feather bed and furniture to her and her heirs forever.

Fifthly: After the death of my wife, my will and desire is that all the property which I have lent her (not land heretofore given) shall be equally divided between my following children: Rachel Innes; Francis Innis; Sally Mills; Tandy Campbell; Elizabeth Mays, and my daughter Polly Pages children (My daughter Polly Pages children haveing only one sixth part to be divided between them) to them and their heirs forever.

Sixthly and Lastly; I hereby nominate and appoint my son Peter Campbell and William Diggs executors of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all other will and testaments. In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 7th day of December 1811.
Ambrose Campbell
Witness:
William Wright, Elijah Mays, Austin Wright
[Interlined in the nineteenth line in presence of:]
Joseph White & John Settles
At a court held for Nelson Co., this 28th day of September 1812

$2000 bond household
$4000 bond tobacco warehouse
Slaves to be appraised (no info on the probate rec. about the number or amount)

Next, review the post by an unknown of the family of Ambrose Campbell which includes a son Ambrose Jr that was married to Rhoda Chittum., __._,_.___
6. *Ambrose Campbell (1751, Amherst Co, VA - 7 Dec 1811, Nelson Co,
VA). He is listed as a head of household in the 1785 Amherst Co, VA
census, with 10 white souls. He served in the American Revolution
under Gen. George Washington in 1777-1778. His Service Number was
401189. He was wounded in action. He married Margaret "Nancy"
Gillespie. His will is located in Nelson Co WB A pg. 222. He is buried
in Nelson Co, VA.
· Sandy Campbell (male)
· Sally Mills Campbell (1782, VA - )
· Rachel Junius Campbell (ca. 1770 - ) She m. John Innis 6 Sept 1797
in Amherst Co, VA.
· Peter Campbell (1772, Amherst Co, VA - )
· Mary "Polly" Campbell (ca. 1773, VA - bet. 1803 & 1811). She m.
Linsy Page, s/o James Page, Sr. and Lucy Norvell, on 31 Oct 1793 in
Amherst Co, VA. He was b. 20 Aug 1774 in VA/NC/SC. They moved to
Warren Co, KY between 1807-1810. Taxed in Amherst Co 1795 & 1801 and
again from 1806-1807. He next appears in the 1810 Warren Co, KY
census. They had at least 4 children.
· Lucy Campbell (1774, Amherst Co, VA - )
· Mary Frances Campbell (12 Sept 1777, Amherst Co, VA - ) She m.
George Washington Innis 24 Dec 1796. He was born in 1750 in Amherst
Co, VA, s/o John Innis (b. 1695, Ireland) & Mary Ann Whitlock. He died
in 1835 in Warren Co, KY. They had 10 children.
· Francis Campbell (1778, VA - )
· Elizabeth "Betsy" Campbell (bet. 1779-86, Amherst Co, VA - ) She m.
Robert Mays 16 Dec 1800 in Amherst Co, VA. He was born in 1767 in
Amherst Co, VA, the s/o Joseph and Sarah (Cash) Mays, and died ca. 26
Aug 1826. They had at least 1 son.
· *Tandy Campbell (18 Feb 1780, Amherst Co, VA - 11 Nov 1845 ) He
fought in the VA militia in the War of 1812. He left VA, moving to TN
ca. 1820, then between 1820-1831 he moved again , and was in Lafayette
Co, MO by 1831. He m. Mary "Polly" Wright 5 Oct 1805 in Amherst Co,
VA. They had 7 children.
· Ambrose Campbell, Jr. (1794, VA - 1828). He m1: Rhonda Chittum in
VA. She died between 1826-27 in Ohio. They had 7 children. He m2:
Dorcas Edsel. They had 1 child. (Ignore this 2nd marriage as an error. BH
7. Rachel Campbell (1755 - 28 Mar 1809, Amherst Co, VA). She m. *James
Higginbotham, Sr. on 30 Mar 1779 in Amherst Co, VA. He was born 25 Dec
1729, and died 14 Mar 1813 in Amherst Co, VA. He was a Col. in the
Revolutionary War. He was commissioned as a Major in the Amherst Co
militia 5 June 1769. He may have also served in the French & Indian
War. He was a vestryman of Lexington Parish, Albemarle in 1779. On 6
Jan 1777 in court he produced his commission to be a surveyor in
Amherst Co, VA. He was the s/o John Higginbotham (b. 10 Jun 1695, St.
Philip Parish, Barbados, BWI), and Frances Riley (b. 1696, Ireland).
They had:

There was definitely an Ambrose Campbell that married Rhoda Chittum in Rockbridge County as determine by review of the marriage bond this date by Carol Harlow.

Did Ambrose and Margaret(son of Henry) have a son named Ambrose Jr that was not mentioned in his will? I scanned through the Will but did not see the mention of an Ambrose Jr but there is more to the will than mentioned above - and on the same date the will was probated in 1812, and as a follow on to the will, son Peter sells 100 acres of land and another page of directions that has not been transcribed.

For the record, the only legal document in Amherst County that could be found associated with Ambrose Campbell or his "speculated" son George was a deed in 1773.

In deed Book "C" page 510, dated 18 February 1773, Ambrose and brother Aaron purchased together 200 acres of land from Joseph Cabell for a total of 100 pounds of then Va money. I assume that Ambrose and Aaron made some side agreement as a settlement when Aaron moved to Kentucky. This land was located on Higginbotham Mill Creek in Nelson County today and would have been included in the Will distribution of property. The land grant to Ambrose for 73 acres is not listed in the land grant plat books in Amherst County but is documented in the records of the Virginia State Library in Richmond. There are the deeds and the will of Ambrose that needs to be downloaded and transcribed prior to distribution. They will be sent out to the Campbell kids when completed.

We are no further ahead today than yesterday in making a connection to the George Campbell, son of Ambrose, that moved from the Lovingston area of Nelson county to Auglaize county Ohio. Does anyone have another recommendation? Who are the parents of that Ambrose Campbell that married Rhoda.

I felt sadden in reading the deed between out young Ambrose Campbell who married Nancy Gillespie. There is more to this subject than is in our project file. Ole George Gillespie, the father of Nancy, died without a will leaving 11 children in addition to Nancy and Ambrose. Ambrose was authorized to sell Gillespie property for 55 pound in 1804 to the Garland brothers. I will distribute a copy of this deed later. Regards BH

This thread: