CherokeeGene-L Archives

Archiver > CherokeeGene > 2001-12 > 1008982915

Subject: Re: [Cherokee Genealogy only] Fw: COCKREL or COCKRELL
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 20:01:55 EST

In a message dated 12/21/2001 2:15:42 PM Central Standard Time,
writes:

> , one thing was a letter from my G-Grandmother's bother, which we didn't
> know that she had any other siblings and there is most likely more
> sibling's

Cockrell is not necessarily in my line but I have been wondering and done a
little searcching for the husband of one of my ancestors. His name was Dr.
J.L. Cockrell, born about 1829 in Marion Co., GA. He was the 2nd husband of
Eliza Thomas King. They met and married in Bette, MS. Family legend refers
to Cockrell as the 'mysterious Dr. Cockrell'. When Eliza's 1st husband,
William Barnett Meredith, died she and her children who were still young
moved to Bette and met the Dr. who was a stranger in town and didn't talk
much about himself. They married and had children, one of whom he named
after Jesse James, a famed outlaw of that period. After news of the outlaw's
death, the mysterious Dr. disappeared. Desendants believe that he was "DOC
HOLIDAY", sidekick to Jesse James. Their other child was named Nora. Jesse
James Cockrell was born about 1881 and Nora about 1883. I've done some
research on the timeframes for these events and can't make anything fit.

I just wanted to throw this in because I can't disregard anything these days.

Sandra

This thread: