CHEYNE-L Archives

Archiver > CHEYNE > 1997-12 > 0882645515

From: Henry Blankenstein <>
Subject: Greenberry Chaney
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 13:18:35 -0600

My husband is descended from the elusive Greenberry Chaney. For years I believed him to
be Greenbury b 1713 son of Charles Cheney & Ann Jones. Somehow the dates didn't match &
it just didn't quite fit together. The generations didn't quite fit.

I went to the library yesterday & they had some new books on Maryland. One titled
GENEALOGY & LOCAL HISTORY & EARLY MAPS OF MARYLAND, DELEWARE, SOUTHERN PENNSYLVANIA,
VIRGINIA, WASHINGTON DC. By Jordan vol 4 p 240-260 was of the Cheney family. It only
deals with the family in Maryland, but it shows descent through 2 different lines of
Greenberry's & one matches up to mine just perfect.

Besides the Greenbury descended from Charles, there is another line that goes:
Richard Cheney & Charity with 2nd wife Eleanor father of Thomas b1669 below
Richard Cheney & Mary
Benjamin Chaney b 1687 m1719 Ruth Cheney b 1702 - dau of Thomas Cheney & Sarah Westall -
Greenberry Cheney b Aug 1740 - apparently served in Rev war in Va & went to Ga.

This book has a little more of the family than the Arundel book & seems to be quite well
documented.

Dianne

This thread: