CORNWALL-TO-NZ-L Archives

Archiver > CORNWALL-TO-NZ > 2003-06 > 1056536738

From: "Patricia Taggart" <>
Subject: RE: [CORNWALL-TO-NZ] Randles to NZ
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:25:41 +1200

Hi Dorothy

You know from the passenger list that in 1872 when Walter arrived that he
was 16 (or thereabouts). If you go to your local LDS and look on the GRO
birth indexes fro 1855 to 1857 for a Walter Randall/Randle. You will have
to go throught each quarter of the year but it shouldn,t take too long. The
county code for cornwall is 5c so if you find a birth of a Walter with a 5c
code the chances are that it is your Walter. Walter is not a common name in
Cornwall and should be easy to pin down. Once you have the code and the
quarter eg: Mar Q, June Q of the year you can then order a birth certificate
from the UK. This should tell you who his parents were complete with the
mother's maiden name. It is more than likely that James and Elizabeth
married after the 1851 census so no good looking in there. I have looked in
the 1861 census and can't find them there (but that doesn't mean they
weren't there - my family don't appear in the census but I know they were in
Cornwall). I did find them in 1871 census. Look online at
http://www.kindredkonnections.com/cgi-bin/genealogy/new/extracted?-1+0+00000
0+English+0-0+crcensus+census type in the surname of Rendle, first name
Walter and put a date range from 1850 to 1871 and this is what you will get:

Parish PENRYN; District 3; Schedule 203

Position Marital
Name in Family Status Age
LAMPSHIRE, ANN Head W 66
RENDLE, JAS Son-in-law M 37
RENDLE, ELIZ Daughter M 32
RENDLE, WALTER Grandson - 13
RENDLE, HENRY Grandson - 7
RENDLE, JOSEPH Grandson - 2
RENDLE, JAS Grandson - 3MO

More info on above names:

Approximate
Birth
LAMPSHIRE, ANN FRUITERER 1805 REDRUTH, Cornwall
RENDLE, JAS AG LAB 1834 ERMINGTON, Devonshire
RENDLE, ELIZ - 1839 BUDOCK, Cornwall
RENDLE, WALTER SCH 1858 PENRYN, Cornwall
RENDLE, HENRY SCH 1864 PENRYN, Cornwall
RENDLE, JOSEPH - 1869 PENRYN, Cornwall
RENDLE, JAS - 1871 PENRYN, Cornwall

It tells you that Elizabeth's maiden name was probably Lampshire and that
Walter was born in Penryn. With this information I went back to the 1861
census and looked up the name Lampshire and there I found Ann aged 55 head
of house, Elizabeth aged 22 unmarried dau., Angelina, 11 unmarried dau. and
Walter 4 Grandson.

So Elizabeth married James after 1861!

Hope this is enough to keep you going for a while.

Good luck
Patricia