DONAUSCHWABEN-VILLAGES-L Archives

From: Lori Straus <>
Subject: Re: [DVHH] Naming children
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 14:55:18 -0500

Yes. That certainly all makes sense. They were Lutheran (an exception
to the rule that all DS were Catholic, I understand), but the church
records book for Semlak's Lutheran community listed all names used in
the records. They appear to be either biblical or Germanic. As was
the case with this line of my family, there was very little variance
in names: many Martins, Katherines, Elisabeths, Adams, and Josefs.

In contrast, I understand that Vietnamese tradition is to be careful
NOT to name your child after somebody, because they believe that the
deceased person's spirit won't be able to go to the next world.

Names certainly show more than just a label for someone. Very
fascinating. Thank you for your help, Susan.

Lori