DONAUSCHWABEN-VILLAGES-L Archives

From: "Susan Williams" <>
Subject: Re: [DVHH] deciphering church records
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:17:02 -0500

Yvonne -- sometimes marriage witnesses werre the couple's godparents-
godfather,to be specific. Marriage witnesses were always men.

Godparents were in many instances (if not all) married couples;
Occasionally, I have seen just one person listed, in my case it has been a
godmother.

I have early records where I was able to trace marriages of one person
because the same people were used as godparents for the children of both
marriages.

The information about godparents being marriage witnesses can help when you
reach the early records where parents names are not included (marriage
records). Witness are included so if you are researching someone with a
more common name, you might be more likely to pick the correct one if you
recognize the godfather's name as a marriage witness.

Susan