DUR-NBL-L Archives

Archiver > DUR-NBL > 2006-03 > 1143467173


From:
Subject: Re: [DUR-NBL] RE: Location of towns
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:46:13 EST


In a message dated 27/03/2006 13:48:28 GMT Daylight Time,
writes:
Stan has posted the directory descriptions of the locations but you need to
do a bit more research on "North Durham", consisting of Norhamshire and
Islandshire

____________________________________________________________________
North Durham also included Bedlingtonshire.

Islandshire (Parish of Holy Island) which was part of Co Durham because of
the origins of the church on Holy Island: Norhamshire (the parish of Norham)
was originally the hinterland to Norham Castle: Bedlingtonshire Parish of
Bedlington (the first resting-place of St Cuthbert's remains after the Community
left Lindisfarne): were together taken as forming "North Durham".
For location maps see
http://www.londonancestor.com/maps/bc-northum-n-th.htm
_http://www.londonancestor.com/maps/bc-northum-s-th.htm_
(http://www.londonancestor.com/maps/bc-northum-s-th.htm)

Parish of Tweedmouth ( A Parochial Chapelry) in Durham until 1844.
Townships:
Tweedmouth
Spital (Spittle)
Springhill
Ord

Parish of Norham in Durham until 1844
Townships:
Longridge
Loanend
Horncliffe
Thornton
Norham Mains
Norham
Shoreswood
Felkington
Duddo
Grindon
Twisel
Heaton Division of Cornhill Chapelry in Norham Parish.
Tillmouth Division of Cornhill Chapelry in Norham Parish.
Cornhill on Tweed. Division of Cornhill Chapelry in Norham Parish.

Parish of Holy Island in Durham until 1844
Townships:
Scremerston. Township in Ancroft parochial chapelry in Holy Island parish.
Cheswick. Township in Ancroft parochial chapelry in Holy Island parish
Ancroft. Township in Ancroft parochial chapelry in Holy Island parish
Haggerston. Township in Ancroft parochial chapelry in Holy Island parish.
Berrington. Township in Ancroft parochial chapelry in Holy Island parish
Beal and Lowlin. Township in Ancroft parochial chapelry in Holy Island parish
Kyloe. Township in Kyloe parochial chapelry in Holy Island parish
Fenwick. Township in Kyloe parochial chapelry in Holy Island parish
Buckton. Township in Kyloe parochial chapelry in Holy Island parish
Goswick.
Fenham.
Holy Island.

Parish of Belford
Townships:
Ross. In Durham until 1844.
Elwick. Part of township only in Durham until 1844.

Parish of Monks House in Durham until 1844. Covers 0.632 acres.
Parish of Farne Islands in Durham until 1844.


Parish of Bedlington in Durham until 1844
Townships:
Choppington in Durham until 1844
West Sleekburn in Durham until 1844
Camboise in Durham until 1844
Esat Sleekburn in Durham until 1844
Bedlington in Durham until 1844
Netherton in Durham until 1844

Regards Stan Mapstone
www.mapstone.org



This thread: