GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-03 > 0920421247

From: John Carmi Parsons <>
Subject: Re: Wife of Richard de Burgh, 2nd Earl of Ulster.
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 19:34:07 -0500 (EST)

The evidence for Margaret's Guines filiation was first presented in my
article, "Eleanor of Castile and the Countess Margaret of Ulster,"
*Genealogists' Magazine", 20/10 (June 1982), 335-40 (cols. 669-80). As a
daughter of Arnoul de Guines III and Alice de Coucy, Margaret was a 2nd
cousin once removed of Queen Eleanor, who almost certainly had a hand in
arranging the Guines-Ulster marriage. Through her Coucy descent, Margaret
was also a first cousin of Alexander III of Scotland, Edward I's brother-in-
law. This Scottish connection had apparently resulted, a year or so before
Margaret married Richard de Burgh, in the marriage of her brother Enguerran de
Guines to the Scottish heiress Christian de Lindsay, whose issue ultimately
became the senior heirs of line to King David I of Scotland.

Margaret was emphatically not a daughter of John de Burgh of Lanvallay,
grandson of the infamous justiciar John de Burgh. The younger John did leave
3 daughters, two of whose marriages are well attested (neither one to Richard
de Burgh nor any member of that family); the third, who was named Margaret,
had become a nun before her father died, so the inheritance was divided only
between her two elder sisters. The inheritance was never subsequently re-
apportioned to provide for the third sister or any of her issue, and she
evidently remained in her cloister to die unmarried and childless.

John Parsons

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Richard Ledyard wrote:

> A recent post showed Margaret de guines, daughter of Arnoul III de Guines,
> to be the wife of Richard de Burgh, 2nd Earl of Ulster. I believe the cite
> was Weis's Ancestral Roots. In CP, there is a reference to a Margaret de
> Burgh, daughter of John de Burgh, as the wife of Richard de Burgh, although
> she is not endorsed. CP further states that the younger John de Burgh
> (grandson of Hubert) is not the father of the Margaret cited by some.
> I was wondering if anyone has any additional information as to the identity
> of Margaret ?, wife of Richard de Burgh.
> Thank you,
> Dick Ledyard

This thread: