GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-04 > 1083326686

From: (Mark Harry)
Subject: Re: CP Addition: Ancestry of the Lords Botreaux
Date: 30 Apr 2004 05:04:46 -0700

There is a good account of this family in Maclean's "Trigg Minor". I
don't have my notes on this family with me but from memory Maclean
suggests that there is a connection to the dukes of Brittany, but no
authority was cited for the same. There is a Geoffrey Boterel in the
Breton ducal family, but I have seen nothing to connect him to the
Cornish Boterels. The latter had their seat at Boterelcastel,now
Boscastle in northern Cornwall. The first known male of the family was
a Nicholas Boterell according to Maclean. His son William married
Alice daughter of Robert Corbet and was therefore an uncle by marriage
of Rainald or Reginald, earl of Cornwall.
In the next generation I have William (II) living 1160 and 1187
married to Isabella, widow of both Warin FitzGerald and Geoffrey de
Vere and daughter of Ellis de Say, lord of Clun. The following three
generations I have as
-- William (III) de Boterell, d. 1221, married Sibella, surname not
known
-- Reginald de Bottreaux, d. 1273, married to Matilda, surname not
known (Matilda married secondly to Richard Hywish)
-- Sir William (IV) Bottreaux, d. 1301, married to Dionisia
Champernowne.

A Joan Bottreaux, said by some writers to have been a daughter of a
William Bottreaux, married Sir William Basset of Tehidy (1300--1340)
and presented to Illogan as a Joan de Turberville, widow in 1361, and
this is my line. I am not sure of Joan's parentage, but she had a
daughter named Dionasia and could therefore well by a daughter of
William IV)de Bottreaux by Dionisia Champernowne.

Mark

This thread: