GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2009-06 > 1244984841

From: taf <>
Subject: Re: Kendall of Pelyn - descent from Holland Dukes of Exeter
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:07:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 14, 4:30 am, ""
<> wrote:
> On 14 June, 04:13, taf <> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 13, 2:53 am, ""
>
> > <> wrote:
> > > There was a post to this group a couple of years ago concerning the
> > > descent of the Kendall family of Pelyn from the Holland Dukes of
> > > Exeter. The post indicated that there would an article in TAG (TAG
> > > 76:46-49?). Does anyone know what the current state of thinking is on
> > > this descent
>
> > Sir Robert Holand, "Bastard of Exeter", was the illegitimate half-
> > brother of Henry, Duke of Exeter.
>
> > taf
>
> Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what the evidence is for this?
> Presumably it had not come to light when you made your original post.
>
> Many thanks.

When I first posted, (and published) on the question, I could only
show that Robert was not Henry's son. While brother was the obvious
next best bet, no proof had come to light, hence my non-specific
conclusion. This has now changed (some time ago, actually), but
unfortunately I am not at liberty to be too specific - the discovery
is not mine. Let's just say that I have seen a copy of a contemporary
document that relates the circumstances of Robert's death (not at
Towton as has been suggested, but in a skermish the day before),
explicitly relates he had been granted land by his "brother" Duke
Henry, and decribes how this land should have been inherited by his
daughter, wife of Kendal of Pelyn, but had been confiscated. It puts
all the relationships beyond question.

taf

This thread: