From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Frisian R1b
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 09:17:13 -0600

There is a definite bulge of DYS442 = 13 haplotypes in the DYS390,391 = 23/11 population of R1b.

Then going to the Frisian variety within the 23/11, defined as H4 = 11(DNAH) and DYS447 = 24, I am finding a good number of continental pedigrees at both DYS442 = 12 or 13.

For the 49 DYS442 = 13 haplotypes I find 3 from Denmark, 3 from Germany, 1 from Netherlands, 1 from Sweden along with the usual American and British Isles pedigrees.

For the 72 DYS442 = 12 haplotypes I find 5 from Denmark, 1 from German/Brazilians, 2 from Netherlands, I Swiss, 1 Austrian, 1 Norwegian, 1 Spain along with the usual American and British Isles pedigrees.

More people with continental pedigrees are needed to fully explore the history (origin) of the derived S21 population. I believe Jim and David have said this as well; I just wanted to reinforce that view.

Many if not most all the interesting questions about early origins of northwest Europe haplotype varieties eventually bring up the need for better data from more southerly Europe. That is in part a reflection of the weakness of our existing databases, but also probably connected with many of these varieties coming from founders who lived down south during or soon after the last glacial maximum.

Ken

This thread: