From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Variance of Eastern Europe R1b Variety
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:24:16 -0700

Over the last couple weeks I have been tabulating the variances of repeat values for the sub-populations of different R1b varieties

To review; I found the South Irish R1b variety having substantially smaller average marker variance (40 percent of that of Atlantic Modal R1b), using about 25 markers

North Irish, Scot, and Frisian R1b varieties were each found to have average marker variances somewhat smaller (about 2/3 + - that of Atlantic Modal R1b)

The Norwegian R1b type had a somewhat greater average marker variance than Atlantic Modal R1b

Today I found that the Eastern Europe R1b variety (with 12 at DYS393 among other modal shifts) also had a somewhat greater average marker variance (126 percent of that of Atlantic Modal R1b)

In the ideal world these average marker variances of a population are supposed to be proportional to time since the founding of the population.

One must remember that SMGF is sampling the Eastern Europe R1b variety in its own biased way, with Poland, Slovenia, and Italy being treated much better than other regions of Eastern Europe and beyond where this variety of R1b also probably resides.

Ken

This thread: