From: "Tim Janzen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Thinking of Giving Up on 23andme
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 10:57:15 -0700

Dear Sam,
Just because you share a 16.9 cM HIR with someone don't assume that
you are related to that person within 5 generations. The GEDmatch suggested
generations to MRCA should be taken with a grain of salt. As a general
rule, I assume that any match who shares 50 cMs or less with one of my
relatives or me could be as distantly related as 10th or 20th cousin.
Sincerely,
Tim Janzen