GREATWAR-L Archives

Archiver > GREATWAR > 2000-02 > 0951492973

From: Iain Kerr <>
Subject: Re: [WW1] 2nd battalion royal scots regiment
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:36:13 +0000

At 14:32 25/02/00 , wrote:
>Dear Listers. i am sending this message to ask if anybody knows where i can
>get information on this regiment from the start of april 1916 till the middle
>of may 1917.i know that the pro at kew has war diaries and related documents
>but i am interested in the recollections of people who were actually there
>during the dates mentioned and not soldiers who may have been behind the
>front lines. any information or help will be much appreciated and i thank all
>of you in advance for your assistance.

ISinc (?),

The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) formed a total of 34 battalions during
World War I; from its pre-war establishment of two regular, one reserve and
seven territorial battalions. The regiment won a total of 71 battle
honours; its soldiers won six Victoria Crosses and the regiment lost 11,160
casualties during the Great War.

The 1st Battalion, The Royal Scots was based in Allahabad, India on the
outbreak of war on 4 Aug 1914. It immediately embarked for home and landed
at Devonport on 16 Nov 1914. It then joined 81st Brigade in 27th Division
and was based at Winchester. On 20 Dec 1914, the battalion landed in
France at Le Havre. On 29 Nov 1915 it was redeployed to Salonika sailing
from Marseilles and arriving in theatre on 8 Dec 1915. It remained there
for the remainder of the war, ending in the same formation on 30 Sep 1918
at Izlis, north-west of Doiran, Bulgaria.

The 2nd Battalion, The Royal Scots was based in Plymouth on the outbreak of
war on 4 Aug 1914 in 8th Brigade and 3rd Division. The battalion landed in
France at Boulogne on 14 Aug 1914. The 2nd Battalion spent the duration in
the same formations in France and Flanders, ending the war on 11 Nov 1918
near Solesmes, France.

I cannot understand your antipathy to the regimental war diaries at the
PRO, Kew. Since they were written by battalion officers they represent a
contemparaneous account and were not written by "soldiers who were behind
the lines". And of course, the battalion will have only spent a part of
those four years in the front line.

And of course you could always seek out the Regimental Histories, including:

"The Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment)" by Michael A Brander'; published in
1976; 111 pages.

"The Lowland Regiments 1972"; by W. PRATT-PAUL; published by IMPULSE, 1st
edn, 186 pp. The four sections in this book deal with The Royal Scots, The
Royal Highland Fusiliers (the amalgamation of The Royal Scots Fusiliers and
The Highland Light Infantry), The King's Own Scottish Borderers and the now
disbanded regiment of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

Or you could make your way to the The Regimental Museum, housed in
Edinburgh Castle, where through paintings, artefacts, silver and medals
their fascinating story is told, from formation to the present day. Open:
April to September Monday to Sunday 9.30am - 5.30pm; October - April Monday
to Friday 9.30am - 4.00pm. Other times by appointment, telephone Edinburgh
(0131) 310 5016. Disabled access throughout Edinburgh Castle.

Archivist is Captain W. G. Sutherland, Regimental Headquarters, The Royal
Scots, The Castle, Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2YT. Telephone
011-44-131-310-5015; Fax: 011-44-131-310-5019.
Yours aye,

Iain Kerr
In Windsor, Berkshire
Web Page at: http://home.clara.net/iainkerr/index.htm
Rootsweb Sponsor Listowner for the KERR; McTURK and SOUTHON lists.
Maintainer of the Ayrshire Surnames Database at:
http://home.clara.net/iainkerr/genuki/AYR/SID/indexsid.htm
Maintainer of the GENUKI Ayrshire pages at:
http://home.clara.net/iainkerr/genuki/AYR/index.htm

This thread: