GREATWAR-L Archives

Archiver > GREATWAR > 2001-03 > 0983597615

From: Iain Kerr <>
Subject: Re: [WW1] RGA Batteries
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 05:33:35 +0000

At 17:19 02/03/01 +0000, Bill Maccormick wrote:
>A bit of a tall order but I would be grateful for any background on any of
>the following RGA batteries and on their activities up to June 1916. I
>know the details of the guns with which they were equipped but any thing
>else, e.g. where raised, trained, when & where they left the UK, where
>they landed, etc. would be invaluable.
>
>The batteries concerned are:
>
>45th Siege Battery
>50th Siege Battery
>68th Siege Battery
>73rd Siege Battery
>74th Siege Battery
>88th Siege Battery
>90th Siege Battery
>91st Siege Battery
>93rd Siege Battery
>94th Siege Battery
>95th Siege Battery
>96th Siege Battery
>98th Siege Battery
>101st Siege Battery
>102nd Siege Battery
>103rd Siege Battery
>116th Heavy Battery
>131st Heavy Battery
>133rd Heavy Battery
>135th Heavy Battery
>1/1st Kent Heavy Battery
>1/1st Lowland Heavy Battery
>
>Also:
>
>Nos. 4 and 6 guns RMA (15" howitzers)
>
>Regards
>
>Bill MacCormick

Bill, That is a very tall order indeed.

As far as I know the majority of the units you list were war raised units
that may have had little history before or after the Great war. Time spent
in the war diaries archives at the PRO, Kew or the new Firepower Museum,
Woolwich when it opens in May 2001, would probably provide most of the answers.

I can help with the last two on your list, which were territorial units.

Home Counties (Kent) Heavy Battery, RGA

The Home Counties (Kent) Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery
(Territorial Force) was formed with its ammunition column from part of the
1st Kent Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) in 1908. The unit
headquarters was initially at Gravesend that moved later to Faversham. The
Home Counties (Kent) Ammunition Column was based at Chatham.

Upon mobilisation in Aug 1914, to cope with the numbers of volunteers and
in common with other territorial units, the unit was duplicated, forming
the 1st/1st and 2nd /1st Home Counties (Kent) Heavy Batteries.

The 1st/1st Home Counties (Kent) Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery
(Territorial Force) served in the UK until early 1915 when it was deployed
to France and Flanders. The Battery ended the war on 11 Nov 1918 in 92nd
Brigade RGA supporting the 3rd Division. After its men were demobilised,
the battery was placed in suspended animation.

The 2nd/1st Home Counties (Kent) Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery
(Territorial Force) remained in the UK for the duration of the Great War
and was disbanded in 1919.

The unit was reconstituted in 1920 as one battery of the 13th (Kent) Medium
Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery (Territorial Force). With the creation
of the Territorial Army in 1921, the unit was renamed the 52nd (Kent)
Medium Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery (Territorial Army). When the
various branches of the Royal Artillery reverted to a single corps in 1924,
the unit became the 52nd (Kent) Medium Brigade, Royal Artillery
(Territorial Army). In 1935 it was reroled and re-equipped to become the
58th (Kent) Anti-Aircraft Brigade, Royal Artillery (Territorial Army). In
1938, when the Royal Artillery adopted the regiment style used by most of
the British Army, the unit became the 58th (Kent) Anti-Aircraft Regiment,
Royal Artillery (Territorial Army).

After mobilisation in 1939, the unit served in UK until 1942 when it was
sent to North Africa. In 1940 it was redesignated the 58th (Kent) Heavy
Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery (Territorial Army). It moved on to
the invasion of and operations in Italy in 1943 1945. In 1945 the unit
was placed in suspended animation.

Lowland (City of Edinburgh) Heavy Battery, RGA

The Lowland (City of Edinburgh) Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery
(Territorial Force) was formed with its ammunition column from part of the
1st Edinburgh (City) Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) in 1908. The
unit headquarters was in Edinburgh.

Upon mobilisation in Aug 1914, to cope with the numbers of volunteers and
in common with other territorial units, the unit was duplicated, forming
the 1st/1st and 2nd /1st Lowland Heavy Batteries.

The 1st/1st Lowland (City of Edinburgh)) Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison
Artillery (Territorial Force) served in the UK until early 1915 when it was
deployed to France and Flanders. The Battery ended the war on 11 Nov 1918
in 92nd Brigade RGA supporting the 3rd Division. After its men were
demobilised, the battery was placed in suspended animation.

The 2nd/1st Lowland (City of Edinburgh) Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison
Artillery (Territorial Force) remained in the UK until 1916 when it was
moved to France and Flanders where it served for the remainder of the Great
War and was disbanded in 1919.

The unit was reconstituted in 1920 as the 2nd (Lowland) Medium Brigade,
Royal Garrison Artillery (Territorial Force) with two batteries formed from
the previous Lowland (City of Edinburgh) Heavy Battery and one battery each
from the 6th and 8th Battalions, The Royal Scots upon their conversion to
the Royal Artillery. With the creation of the Territorial Army in 1921,
the unit was renamed the 57th (Lowland) Medium Brigade, Royal Garrison
Artillery (Territorial Army). When the various branches of the Royal
Artillery reverted to a single corps in 1924, the unit became the 57th
(Lowland) Medium Brigade, Royal Artillery (Territorial Army). In 1938,
when the Royal Artillery adopted the regiment style used by most of the
British Army, the unit became the 57th (Lowland) Medium Regiment, Royal
Artillery (Territorial Army). In 1939 the unit was reorganised and
redesignated the 51st (Lowland) Heavy Regiment, Royal Artillery
(Territorial Army) with its headquarters at Leith.

After mobilisation in 1939, the unit was deployed to France with the BEF
and recovered through Dunkirk. After reinforcement and re-equipment the
regiment served in UK until 1944 when it took part in the reinvasion of
North-West Europe in 1944 and operations into Germany in 1945. In 1946 the
unit was placed in suspended animation.

Yours aye,

Iain Kerr in Windsor, Berkshire, United Kingdom
Web Page at: http://home.clara.net/iainkerr/index.htm
RootsWeb Sponsor and Listowner for the WORLDWAR2 Mailing List.

This thread: