Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2002-06 > 1025005016

From: "Jack Goins" <>
Subject: Re: [Melungeon] How Melungeon DNA test subjects were chosen....
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:36:56 -0400

----- Original Message -----
Dennis Maggard To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 12:04 AM

> I have recieved this statement from an authoritative source, on how the
Melungeon DNA test subjects were chosen:

> The testing was done on three populations: (1) Vardy/Newman's Ridge and
Hancock County, Tennessee, (2) Stone Mountain/Coeburn
> Mountain in Wise County, Virginia, and (3) Melungeon descendants living
outside these first two sample areas. These three
> populations were tested separately and can be compared against one
another. In most cases, community leaders assisted in the
> identification and collection of the samples. Also, Brent Kennedy knows
these families in the course of his research. Direct
> descendants of known Melungeons agreed upon by nearly all Melungeon
historians were sampled. For example, the DNA of Mahala
> Mullins, Buck Gibson, Vardy Collins, "Irish Jim" Mullins, Brandy Jack
Mullins, Isham hall, and various Goins lines,among others.

Hi list.
From my own personal knowledge I know part of this outlined by Dennis
is correct. I meet some of those who gave a sample on Coeburn Mountain at
the photo gathering for the US News & World Report article, July 24/31 2000
"Haven't got a Clue Maybe DNA will do",by Nancy Shute who also attended 4th
Union. All of those in that photo used in the story gave a mtdna sample, but
I don't know their connections except for Brent's mothers line. In my
opinion Family Genealogy has to be applied to the DNA. To show how
complicated a DNA study is I will give you one example from Vardy. I will
not use her name but will call her Sample #1. She gave a sample for the
Mtdna. #1 and is a proven direct descendant of Vardy Collins, but her
mothers line takes her to Jincy Jane Goins. Jincy Jane is said to be the
daughter of Joseph Goins and Millie Lovin. Dr. Virginia DeMarce also
researched this line and used it in her speech at the GRF convention in
Nashville May 7, 1996. Joseph Gowen is traced and I agree with DeMarce to
Louisa County, Virginia. Where did this Marriage take place? I believe I am
correct in saying it was Bedford County Virginia, but no marriage license
was found. According to Rev Taylor Millie Lovin came from Ireland as a young
child. Have a nice day, Jack

This thread: