MENDENHALL-L Archives

Archiver > MENDENHALL > 2002-05 > 1022274227

Subject: [MENDENHALL] Re: Mendenhalls in Afton, Audobon, and Sheldon Iowa
Date: 24 May 2002 15:03:47 -0600

Surnames: Mendenhall
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/3A1.2ACIB/188.1.1

Message Board Post:

Earl, I am descended from Hiram's brother John Mendenhall. John married Delilah Doty in Unionport, Randolph Co IN. They had two children, Ada (my gr grandmother) and Orly, who died in Randolph Co MO in a freak accident. John was on his way to visit his family in Iowa, and according to the Moberly paper, Orly was with him, but they didn't have enough money for both to get there. So John went on, and Orly took a job helping to tear down the street circus, so he would have money to go on to Iowa. A pole fell on Orly and crushed his skull. John had to go back to Moberly and claim his body. Orly is buried in Muncie, Indiana, along with Ada his sister, John and Delilah. I have pictures, but I'm not sure who all they belong to, only that they are Mendenhall family in Iowa. Perhaps we can share pictures and you can help me identify these. It's great to talk to a new cousin. I have additional info/stories if you're willing to share. Just e-mail at my e-mail address direct!
ly. Jean

This thread: