NEBRRoots-L Archives

Archiver > NEBRRoots > 1998-10 > 0907248213

From: William N Oliver <>
Subject: Re: [NEBRRoots-L] ENOS ORRIN DARLING
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 09:23:33 -0400

The Darling's wrote:

> Hello All:
> I am new to the list and have one very pressing question. So pressing in
> fact that I have spent about 4 years trying to get an answer to no avail.
> My great grandfather, ENOS ORRIN DARLING was a doctor. He was in South
> Bend, Nebraska, and later Grand Island. In the Plattsmouth Enterprise ( a
> newspaper )
> dated June 18, 1881 he is listed with other doctors as a list of Registered
> Physicians in Cass County.
> The article also says he has been in the state for 4 years. This would
> mean that he arrived sometime in 1877. He also had a document ( I now have
> in my possession ) which is very fancy and says that he was an agent for
> the " American & European; Secret Service Company " this came out of
> Grandma's trunk when she passed away, with a badge saying the same thing
> and the word " Deputy " on it. The document is signed by Byron H. Robb,
> President ( of the company ) and dated 10 th day of June 1878. Can anyone
> tell me about this document or more specifically the organization? And,
> can someone shed some light on the physicans registration, where would I go
> to see if such a registration may still exist?
> Of the Secret Service Company I have been told it is a police organization,
> an organization set up so that he could be a coronor at murder scene's and
> an assortment of other things that I truly am skeptical about.
> The current Secret Service doesn't have a clue either.
> Gail Darling
> Bakersfield, California

Dear Gail,

Often Coroners were deputized because of their investigative aspects.
The various states handle this in different ways, for example, in OHio
the Attorney General has ruled that there are certain conflicts of
interest in the two positions.

There is a coroner's website at: <http://www.coroners.org/>;. There are
many links off this California site that might be able to further your
quest.

Sincerely,

Bill
ListMom